Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
So what are my options for a flash that will shoot faster than 1/180?

Hello, just trying to work out what options there are for a flash that fires faster than the "limit" of 1/180.
I thought that the Yongnuo radio triggers would help me out even with a "dumb" flash but it seems I'm still capped at 1/180. So far I've worked out: the genuine Pentax flashes of course (AF540, AF360), the Sigma supers... which are hard to find and a bit expensive considering they don't get good reviews. are those my only options?!

07-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
What exactly are you trying to do with the flash that you need a fast shutter speed? Block ambient light?

A dedicated flash with HSS is your only option, though the HSS just strobes the light and reduces the output by a lot. With a DSLR that has a traditional shutter, it is impossible to get a truly fast sync speed without drawbacks.

Metz also sells very good dedicated flashes.
07-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Metz 50? And Metz 48?

I'm looking for one myself. Yes, in my case to block out ambient light.
07-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TimKierath Quote
I thought that the Yongnuo radio triggers would help me out even with a "dumb" flash but it seems I'm still capped at 1/180.
Beyond 1/180, the camera won't send the trigger signal except if you use HSS.

the Sigma supers... which are hard to find and a bit expensive considering they don't get good reviews
Sigma flashes are quite good, I don't know where you found bad reviews. I used one for a while before getting a more complete AF540FGZ. Nothing to complain about with my Sigma flash, well built, reliable. Apparently the menu system of the Supers is not easy (I had a ST) but I wouldn't say that the menu system of the 540 is easy. For simple adjustments it's very well done but for changing things like wireless mode (slave or PTTL wireless) I always have to refer to the manual, it only says "SL1" or SL2" which isn't enough to decipher which is which...

The Sigma flashes are probably the best value on the market. The Metz are quite highly regarded, very compact in general. The Pentax flashes offer the best compatibility (Sigma and Metz flashes sometimes have to be updated when a new camera comes out) but are the most expensive.

07-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Pentax Q uses a leaf shutter in a few of the native lenses (01, 02, 06) and the K-Q adapter.
With those native lenses you can get up to 1/2000 sec flash shutter speed. I have done this using a Pentax AF540FGZ as a slave.
With the adapter you can go up to 1/1000/sec.
Not sure of your application, but perhaps this may interest you.
07-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Probably not what you are looking for, but a P&S might do the job. For example, my lowly X-90 is good to 1/4000 with the onboard flash. It can easily overpower an overcast day, although I haven't tried shooting directly against a clear setting sun. But I can definitely turn an overcast day into night/dusk.

Moreover, an AF 360FGZ can optically slave to it (and it can even keep up with the metering preflash, which is much faster than the K-5, if full power is not required).
07-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Sigma flashes are quite good, I don't know where you found bad reviews.
on this site, that's where.

Sigma EF-610 DG Super reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Sigma EF-530 DG Super reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Those are 2 of the 3 Sigma flashes that support HSS and both of them get pretty average reviews.

07-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
A Pentax Q uses a leaf shutter in a few of the native lenses (01, 02, 06) and the K-Q adapter.
With those native lenses you can get up to 1/2000 sec flash shutter speed. I have done this using a Pentax AF540FGZ as a slave.
With the adapter you can go up to 1/1000/sec.
Not sure of your application, but perhaps this may interest you.
+1

The only way to really get full frame flash at above 1/180, or if you go back to film 1/250 on the PZ1(for example) you need to consider leaf shutters or high speed sync.

The Q is a fun little camera, but it has a lot of system features that get overlooked simply because of its sensor size
07-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #9

Hello, just trying to work out what options there are for a flash that fires faster than the "limit" of 1/180.
I thought that the Yongnuo radio triggers would help me out even with a "dumb" flash but it seems I'm still capped at 1/180.
I've recently gone through this. In order to go above 1/180s, you need a HSS flash. The three main options are Pentax, Sigma and Metz. I myself got a good deal on the Metz Mecablitz 52-AF1 (though I just last week sent it back under warranty due to a blown capacitor, which they replaced with a new unit simply - it appears I just got unlucky there however).

As for off-camera, there is no Pentax compatible radio trigger that supports HSS. The only way is to use an extension cable with a HSS compatible flash. I've done this with my Metz and it works fine but that cable is a little annoying. I tend to favour manual with the radio triggers.
07-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It seems like a third-party really ought to be able to design and manufacture a fully P-TTL-compatible RF trigger. You know, one that supports the "wired" P-TTL protocol rather than the Aokatecs which proxy the "wireless" optical P-TTL.

OTOH, if some of the third-party manual triggers can't keep up with 1/180 sec, then maybe I am asking too much.

Probably just an issue with Pentax popularity. I'm not to familiar with C & N flash systems but I seem to recall these things are widely available for them. Whatever.
07-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
It seems like a third-party really ought to be able to design and manufacture a fully P-TTL-compatible RF trigger. You know, one that supports the "wired" P-TTL protocol rather than the Aokatecs which proxy the "wireless" optical P-TTL.

OTOH, if some of the third-party manual triggers can't keep up with 1/180 sec, then maybe I am asking too much.

Probably just an issue with Pentax popularity. I'm not to familiar with C & N flash systems but I seem to recall these things are widely available for them. Whatever.
I can't speak for every brand as my focus was only on Pentax. But I do know that the more popular brand radio triggers do support HSS with Canikon cameras. It is a real shame I can't even get P-TTL support with any radio trigger, let alone HSS.
07-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adinfinitum Quote
I can't speak for every brand as my focus was only on Pentax. But I do know that the more popular brand radio triggers do support HSS with Canikon cameras. It is a real shame I can't even get P-TTL support with any radio trigger, let alone HSS.
Your research is lacking
Aokatec - Products

P-ttl Hss and full compatibility with any wireless camera system

This is the beauty of optical > RF solution your not buying a 'Pentax' solution your buying a 'System' solution
07-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Do you need P-TTL? If not, a Nikon flash in auto non-ttl mode can do up to at least 1/4000.

This is for an SB-26. Not sure about other models.

I have been looking for a decently priced and good p-ttl flash but have not been able to find one I am willing to spend the money on.

I have this Nikon SB-26 that I received in a flash lot quite a while ago along with a pretty damaged SB-25. Was able to fix the SB-26 and am going to try it out in Auto mode once my batteries finish charging. According to the manual, it should work on any camera in the auto mode. You still have to set the zoom, ISO, and f-stop on the flash, but it looks like it should work.
07-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Your research is lacking
Aokatec - Products

P-ttl Hss and full compatibility with any wireless camera system

This is the beauty of optical > RF solution your not buying a 'Pentax' solution your buying a 'System' solution
Be aware that the aokatec does not fit on the k30 flash head and therefore I assume the new bodes due out that are based on the K30.
07-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
Do you need P-TTL? If not, a Nikon flash in auto non-ttl mode can do up to at least 1/4000.

This is for an SB-26. Not sure about other models.

I have been looking for a decently priced and good p-ttl flash but have not been able to find one I am willing to spend the money on.

I have this Nikon SB-26 that I received in a flash lot quite a while ago along with a pretty damaged SB-25. Was able to fix the SB-26 and am going to try it out in Auto mode once my batteries finish charging. According to the manual, it should work on any camera in the auto mode. You still have to set the zoom, ISO, and f-stop on the flash, but it looks like it should work.
The problem is not getting a flash that can do 1/4000. Pretty much all flashes can do that.

The problem is that Pentax DSLRs (and the K-01) will not trigger the flash to begin with at speeds faster than 1/180, unless the camera senses a P-TTL flash that supports HSS.