Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2006, 02:43 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Flashes

After long consideration I decided to buy an external flash for my DS. My problem is that I don't know which one to buy. The Pentax AF-500 is out of question (to expensive), so my choices would be the Pentax AF-360, the Sakar Digital Concepts 952AF (http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SAK925AFP) or the Vivitar 6000AF. The problem is that I have no knowledge about flashes in general, so you see my problem.
The thing is that, probably, I wont use it too often, maybe for some macro shots or indoors, so I don't want to spend to much on a flash.
Any suggestions and help is appreciated.

Robert.

09-23-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A good source of info on flashes: http://www.jensroesner.de/

Maybe you've already run across this brand and decided against it: I have a Promaster flash, which was quite reasonable - about half what a similar Pentax flash would cost, if I recall correctly. My main reason for getting it doesn't apply to your situation, though, I don't think - the DS does TTL flash, right? The DL doesn't, and I was able to get around that for my manual lenses with this flash, while still being able to use it as a P-TTL flash.

Jens' site has lots of basic info on flashes, diy diffusers and whatnot. Well worth a visit, it was very helpful when I decided I needed a flash. Good luck choosing!

Julie
09-26-2006, 01:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Take a look at the Sigma EF500DG Super. It is about the same price as the Af360.
09-26-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Same here on the Sigma Super.I am worried it will be usless with the K10

09-26-2006, 07:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sigma EF500 DG Super here too...
09-27-2006, 01:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
I am worried it will be usless with the K10
I am a bit also. I'll find out in few weeks, I guess. I understand Sigma historically has updated flash modules in these cases.

-Rosco
10-19-2006, 01:07 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Sigma EF500DG Super

I have a istDL2 and was looking at the Sigma EF500DG Super online, but I have been hesitant to buy it as I cannot find any articles where someone actually states that it is fully compatible with the Pentax ist Digitals.

Does anyone have a Sigma EF500DG Super, and does it work just like the Pentax AF360 or the AF-500??

Is the Sigma EF500DG Super a P-TTL flash, and is the Sigma EF500DG Super equal to the AF-360 or the AF-500?

Am I to understand that P-TTL flash is better than TTL flash?? I don't know much about the technical side of a flash, but I read that the new K10D will use P-TTL flashes both internal and external.

Any clearification would be appreciated.

Ed

10-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #8

Same questions re... what flash to buy

I just got my K100D and need a flash but not one that cost 60% of the cost of the camera. Hope you get answers regarding alternatives.
10-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. H Quote
Am I to understand that P-TTL flash is better than TTL flash?? I don't know much about the technical side of a flash, but I read that the new K10D will use P-TTL flashes both internal and external.
I don't know about better, but different. TTL meters the light during exposure, P-TTL emits a pre-flash, meters that, then makes the exposure. Some people say that the pre-flash makes sensitive people blink, so that their eyes are closed when the actual flash goes off and the exposure is made. In my limited experience, this doesn't seem to be a problem, but maybe I've just been lucky.

I have a DL, and got a Promaster flash which I'm quite happy with - quite a bit cheaper than the Pentax version. It was a bit of a pain to get, because they have no distributors outside the US, but someone over at the dpreview forum says they've seem them in stores in Sydney Aus. so maybe they're not as unavailable as I thought! Anyway, it does P-TTL with the DL just fine, plus I got a manual module (they're interchangeable - same flash unit, different conrol module) so that it'll work like an auto flash with my old manual lenses. They have a pretty informative website, check them out as another option to add to your confusion!

Julie
10-22-2006, 05:46 PM   #10
clm

The Pentax AF280T is about $50 used at KEH or eBay. The AF220T is $30 new at B&H. Both are TTL flashes. I have not used the 220, but I have the 280 and it is very, very good. If you plan to get K10, these might not be good choices, though.
11-16-2006, 01:03 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Sigma EF-500 DG Super

I have some of the following posted on another thread , but I think it could be useful here as well...

Well, after spending hour upon hour reading, I settled on and purchased a Sigma EF-500 DG Super for my Pentax istDL2. From what I have read, it does pretty well what the Pentax 540 does minus a few little features that many professionals and the amateur photographers like myself don't need.

The Sigma EF-500 DG Super has rave reviews on so many forums including the non-Pentax ones that I was strongly swayed in this direction.

There was one fellow wrote in a forum that had a Pentax thread stating that he got the Sigma EF-500 DG ST for his istDL and not the Sigma EF-500 DG SUPER and then gave some reasons why, but that did not convince me at all. It costs about $80USD less, but is lacking quite a few features. Check them both out!

I did not feel that the Pentax 360 met my requirements and the 540 was just too much money! The Promaster looks good until you start to read “what it does not do” and you drop it real quickly. There is another brand called “New Digital Concepts Auto Focus Power Zoom Flash for Pentax Digital & SLR Cameras”, I say forget that …buy the Sigma. I can’t even find reviews about that one.

I bought my Sigma online through B&H Photovideo Digital Cameras, Camcorders, TV's, Home Theater, DVD Players, Apple iPods . Digital Cameras, Camcorders, TV's, Home Theater, DVD Players, Apple iPods

I found their online ordering to be a breeze! The other place to order is through Sigma4less: Digital cameras, canon digital cameras, sigma digital cameras, digital camera accessories, hoya filters

One discussion on a Canon forum really persuaded me this way when I read that many Canon owners chose Sigma over the Canon brand even though the price was the same!! LOL...we would not do that if the prices were the same with Pentax...would we? But for a hundred bucks less I chose Sigma.

I am getting it in a couple days and will try it out over the next weekend and then will try to post here by Wednesday with a detailed write up on it.

Cheers
12-07-2006, 12:49 AM   #12
Inactive Account

My Sigma EF-500 DG Super report

(this is also posted on the thread, "What kind of flash do I need?)

Well, here is what I have learned about my Sigma EF-500 DG Super over the last week. I don't have time to go into detail or attach photos and I also did not do any technical shots. So here we go...

In one word....FANTASTIC!!! Yah you bet! I have tried it under various conditions just shooting around family and where we are staying on vacation and every single time the pictures have turned out so good that I am more than thrilled with the results.

As far as the mention that the flash makes noise when it adjusts the zoom to match the focal length of your lens, it does have a bit of a motorized sound when it adjust itself. It is very short as the flash does adjust very quickly. I did not find this to be bothersome and unless I was actually thinking about it, I did not notice it! This is a minor issue with this flash that should not deter you from purchasing it..

The digital illuminated LCD display is nice and is easy to read, and when illuminated, it is easily read in poor lighting conditions.

I was not expecting it to look this nice mounted on my Pentax istDL2, but let me tell you, the Sigma EF-500 DG Super / istD combination looks and feels real good!!

I also attached a version of "The Better Bounce Card" to it and compared the photos with and without the bounce card. Being such a powerfull flash, it does a great job when ceiling bouncing and also when shooting subjects that are further away.

I used to use rechargable Ni-cads (and still will for every day use), but from a recomendation on DPreview.com I purchased the Energizer e2 Lithium batteries at Sam's Club ($20 for 12) . This improved the camera's performance as you get 1.5 volts rather than the 1.25 with the rechargables.

The Energizer e2 Lithium batteries are much lighter in weight and so when you have 8 between your camera and flash, it helps keep it lighter.

In conclusion, the Sigma EF-500 DG Super is;
- money well spent
- works flawlessly
- highly recomended
- fun and easy to use

Mr. H
12-09-2006, 11:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flash

I love flash discussions-they crack me up!

A beginner to flash needs --three--exactly three--only three-- flash characteristics:

1) the trigger voltage must be compatible with the camera. This is why manufacturers make flash and the camera manual is the best source of compatible flash data. There are web sources, but...

2) the flash needs to be step adjustable across at least five stops: full, half, quarter, eighth, sixteenth, thirty-secondth (sp) well, thats six; oops.

3) the user must be able to fire the flash off the camera-it's the only intelligent way.

Ttl/p-ttl/rear curtain sync, high-speed sync, multi-burst, focus assist, red-eye guaranteed, doggy-don't blink, granny squint, no floating spots after-effect, etc, ad nauseam----all are more pain than gain for the novice!

You can get around the trigger voltage problem with an isolating hot-shoe to PC device. A simple pc tipped flash cord in the 2 meter/6 foot length and a new or recent vintage used Vivitar 283/285 with the varipower adapter will do.

The user must bring certain skills to the process: how to read, how to multiply & divide and how to memorize a short list of guide numbers.

But experience is the best teacher. Ring me up when you get frustrated with poor results from the do-it-all flash; when I stop laughing we can talk.
12-10-2006, 08:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Same here on the Sigma Super.I am worried it will be usless with the K10
I contacted sigma, and as long as the 500 super is relatively new stock, then it will work with the k10
here is a link to a serial number on the flash to look for:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/768-sigma-ef-500dg...need-read.html
12-10-2006, 01:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
The user must bring certain skills to the process: how to read, how to multiply & divide and how to memorize a short list of guide numbers.
I would love to find a readable explanation of guide numbers, etc. I'll admit I haven't searched very hard due to time constraints, but everything I've come across so far, including the "manual" that came with my flash is rather opaque on the matter. Do you have a recommendation?

QuoteQuote:
But experience is the best teacher. Ring me up when you get frustrated with poor results from the do-it-all flash; when I stop laughing we can talk.
I fully agree with you on experience, I've learned a surprising amount flailing around without really knowing what I'm doing. I'm not frustrated with poor results from my flash - I eventually get what I'm looking for - but I do seem to have to mess around with it more than I should, largely because I've never found a good explanation of how guide numbers work (see above). I probably got not quite the best option because I got entirely confused and needed something in a hurry, but I'd do better if I fully understood what all those little numbers printed on the back meant!

So, if you've stopped laughing, can you recommend either a print or web resource that clearly explains the basics? Or perhaps post a thread in the tips and techniques section, you do seem to have a way with words. It'd help a lot of confused people!

Julie