Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #1

Pentax Original Flash Wireless P-ttl

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi

If I get a Pentax 360FGZ or 540FGZ and want to use wireless p-ttl, can I use it without the on camera flash? Does the K-5 have built in trigger?

Thanks

07-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, the flash on the camera (built in or a dedicated on in the hot-shoe) is the trigger.
07-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It's wireless not in the radio sense, just there are no wires! The remote flash is triggered by the camera flash.
07-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #4

you need to pop up the build in flash to enable the wireless pttl to work. you will see it have some blinks to transmit the info to the flash. Then flash will fire off.

07-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See this video
07-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You can add a radio trigger, though.
07-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

Why I wanted it to trigger without flash is because I dont want the on camera flash to be part of the exposure and the video explained it good.

I already have a pair of PT-04 radio triggers. Does p-ttl work with those on?

Also does Metz flashes support wireless p-ttl?

07-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
P-ttl does not work with the PT-04, you will need to run the flashes in manual mode.

Not sure on the Metz features. There is a specific version for Pentax that you will need to research.
07-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If you set your on camera flash to Controller instead of Master, it will contribute very little to the exposure.
07-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Most metz units will work in slave mode, that's what you need to look for "slave mode"

You will as has been said need to use the pop up or another hot shoe flash both of which will contribute a bit of light to the image even when set to control mode, be aware that it bright light or out side if too far away the slave does not always "see" the control flash signal or more correctly flashes.
07-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by striker_ Quote
Why I wanted it to trigger without flash is because I dont want the on camera flash to be part of the exposure
Wireless P-TTL uses IR signals embedded in the flash mounted to the camera. You can greatly reduce the visible part of the flash in the camera menu by using what is known as 'controller mode'. For most images you won't notice the light output from the controlling flash, but there is still some. If total elimination of this light is mandatory, you have to position a filter over the flash so the IR signal is passed through but the visible light is not.

I use one of these:
IR Panel
07-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A piece of exposed color negative film works well as an IR pass filter. You want it completely blown out, I've heard that florescent bulbs are the best source of light for this trick. You don't even need a film camera, just buy a roll and pull it out with your hands. Then send it off to hive it developed, and when it comes back the negative will look black, but IR light will still be able to pass through it.
07-31-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
A piece of exposed color negative film works well as an IR pass filter.
I'm not arguing, but unless OP either has a tag end on hand or shoots film with a end available, or has a friend that meets that qualification, it would be cheaper to just buy the funky shield than buy film and process it.