Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone recognize these lights?

Can anyone tell me about these Opus M401kit lights?
A friend of mine is selling them and I would like to know if anyone knows if they are good lights. She has two complete units to sell.

I plan to take pictures of our new baby and need some decent lighting for things to turn out right.
Will these work for what I want to do? She tells me she never had the cables to connect them to her camera.
What would be required to connect to a K-30?

If this set up is not suitable what would be a good start without breaking the bank?

I would like to get an external flash but I am not sure where to start.

Any advice would be great, I don't want to buy into something that won't suit my needs.

Attached Images

Last edited by Brownie4u; 08-01-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Updated info
08-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
look like standard slave lights. If so they would work fine, but the problem is triggering them. If they are what I think they have a sensor that triggers the flash when it sees an external flash. Unfortunately the on board flash on modern cameras uses a 'pre-flash' to test the exposure and the pre-flash sets off the slaves.

I used a set similar to these from Adorama for some time but mine had a PC port so I connected the PC port on the k-5 to one of them via a cable and the second one fired in response to the first flash.

If they have a PC port then no problem. If they don't then you would need to figure out how to trigger them.
08-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a link: OPUS OPL-M401 40WS HOME STUDIO FLASH KIT #777032003476 But I can't tell if the port is PC or mini-jack. Either way you need the corresponding port on the k-30 or an adapter. I do not think the k-30 has a PC port so you will need a hot shoe adapter and the cable. You could also use a set of RF wireless triggers and the correct cable.

The problem with these is that they just don't provide a lot of light. 40ws is not much, most studio strobes are going to be 300 or more. I still use mine for fill occasionally but for portraits they are a little under powered. Depends on the price and the stands and umbrellas have some value but I would not pay much for them.
08-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If they are only 40WS, you're probably better off getting a speedlight like a Yongnuo 560 III. Thing is, not all babies take too kindly to flash. If you can, experiment with your popup flash to see if it has an effect on the baby and if he/she starts to cry, you might want to look into continuous lighting.

08-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #5

The user manual says it uses as "standard 1/8" jack". It also has a photocell.

http://www.opusprophoto.com/downloads/OPL_M40_Instruction_Manual.pdf
08-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
She is only asking $100 for the both of them. A good deal for sure.
If they are under powered maybe I should pass...
I don't plan to have a full studio setup at this point.

Thanks for the great advice as always!
08-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I was thinking same as you and picked up an umbrella and wireless trigger kit in place of these things. I think I've used them twice since I got them.

I have had much more success with a Yongnou 560II bounced off the ceiling or wall that with using the umbrella. I love my Yongnou's ($70 ea.), 1/4 power bounced, ISO200, f5.6 will almost always result in a usable exposure. Cheap wireless triggers ($20) work great inside the house, not so sure how well they work outside.