Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #1

Flash for my K-r?

I have an old vivitar flash but it only fires at full power. Looking for something with more adjustability that wont totally break the bank.

Something that i can at least adjust the light intensity with would be nice, even if its not through the camera.

Last edited by dmbaile2; 08-07-2013 at 10:39 AM.
08-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Scroll to the top of this sub-forum and see the first Sticky, "Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison"

To be blunt, inexpensive means fully manual flash control. moderate means adding auto thyristor control (flash sensor built into the camera), automated flash means P-TTL and the price goes up accordingly.

By the way "old vivitar flash" just might kill your K-r. Your camera hot shoe is basically just a switch .... in today's digital cameras this switch is generally electronic and not mechanical. Electronic flash units operate internally at very high voltages. More recent units limit how much voltage goes through the camera's hot shoe, but older units allow much of that voltage to pass through the hot shoe. Electronic switches can only tolerate that so often before they burn out. And sometimes 'so often', means once.

Unless you have verified the voltage used by an older flash unit's hot shoe contacts, do not use an older flash unit on your K-r.
08-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
I remember verifying the voltage now that you mention it. It was so long ago i don't remember the details but its good.

Are there any manual flashes that have light output adjust? Even just a knob or something? I was using that vivitar for macro stuff with a reversed lens and tubes but for any other type of photography the flash is much too strong.
08-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by dmbaile2 Quote
I remember verifying the voltage now that you mention it. It was so long ago i don't remember the details but its good.

Are there any manual flashes that have light output adjust? Even just a knob or something? I was using that vivitar for macro stuff with a reversed lens and tubes but for any other type of photography the flash is much too strong.
I would think most current manual flashes allow for variable output. Many Pentax owners like the Chinese Yongnuo 560 line of flashes.

08-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Light It Up?

Hello dmbaile2,
There's a whole range of flashes available, if you're looking at used flashes, I can recommend the Pentax AF280T, it only has 3 manual settings (Hi, Med + low), but also has tilt and swivel, macro setting (it tilts slightly downward from true level, for close-focusing) and by combining the power settings with (either/or) tilt, bounce, diffuser etc., you can vary the amount and direction of the light widely. About $50.00 used.
For slightly more $$ you can buy a new Yogouno (spelling??) fully manual flash, many PF members have used this flash and recommend it. About $70.00.
My favorite mid-range flash is the Pentax AF360FGZ, about $220.00 new, $150.00 used. Tilt but no swivel, output variable from full to 1/32 power (7 steps) with built-in diffuser and bounce card.
This should give you a rough price range, there are other good flashes out there. Just make sure you check the trigger voltage, older flashes used a much higher voltage and can fry your hot shoe. There's a website posted here somewhere that lists the 'safe' older flashes.
Whereabouts in Colorado are you? I'm in Denver, Congress Park area. There's several other Colorado members here, welcome aboard!
Ron
08-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A few years ago, when I asked the same question about my K-r, I was told about the Yongnuo YN-460 II. Now their top-of-the-line is the YN-560 II / III, but it's still the same basic flash, and it's absolutely GREAT.
08-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
Just to confirm, are the P-TTL flashes the only one that support shots faster than a 160 shutter?

08-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by dmbaile2 Quote
Just to confirm, are the P-TTL flashes the only one that support shots faster than a 160 shutter?
When you need a TTL controlled flash on your Pentax, it should support P-TTL anyway. But not all of them support "high speed sync" or "second curtain sync". You could look at B+H for more info on P-TTL compatible flash units:
On Camera Flashes | B&H Photo Video

I chose the Metz MB 44 AF-1 for my K-x, and it works very good in P-TTL mode. Neither "high speed sync" or "second curtain sync", but tilt/swivel and a build-in bounce-card. I recommend you get a flash unit with enough power, which you will need if you use bouncing light. I use my flash often at parties with bouncing against ceiling, using the bounce-card or a third-party diffusor cap. Having enough power also means a short time to recharge. I found my Metz to have sufficient power and I'm very happy with the results.