Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sunpack or Vivitar for OCF?

Curious to know if anyone has any experience with either the Sunpack 444D or the Vivitar 285HV flashes?

I'm still looking for a flash I can put off camera on a light stand, trigger with some cactus triggers mostly for wedding receptions for some rim light or dimensional lighting during reception. I'd love to have a flash were I can dial down the output to 1/8th or 1/4th power etc.... I think from everything I've been reading, either one of these flashes will work for what I need. I can get a used one of each for the same price, but I'm not sure which one. I think I've been reading and looking into flashes for too long. I've gotten to the Confused, overwhelmed, not sure what one phase.

any experience with either of these flashes??

08-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #2

Both flashes have the features you are looking for.

I have the Vivitar 285 (purchased new in the 1980s) and a couple of Sunpak 433Ds. The 433D is practically the same as the 422D with a slightly higher Guide Number and lacks the interchangeable module and auto shut-off.

As I recall the Vivitar has a higher Guide Number than the Sunpak. It also has a built-in Zoom head so you can change the area of coverage. It is much bulkier and heavy than the Sunpak, but it is built like a tank. The distance f-stop guides on the Sunpak are integrated with the power selector making it easier to use in manual mode but the switches are small and can be tedious or a bit fiddly to operate. The guide dial on the Vivitar is lighted which can help in low light situations.

I'm not sure how you wake up the 422D after it has auto powered down. You may not be able to do it remotely and have to press the test button on the flash. You can find the manual online.

Either unit should serve you well.
08-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Both flashes have the features you are looking for.

I have the Vivitar 285 (purchased new in the 1980s) and a couple of Sunpak 433Ds. The 433D is practically the same as the 422D with a slightly higher Guide Number and lacks the interchangeable module and auto shut-off.

As I recall the Vivitar has a higher Guide Number than the Sunpak. It also has a built-in Zoom head so you can change the area of coverage. It is much bulkier and heavy than the Sunpak, but it is built like a tank. The distance f-stop guides on the Sunpak are integrated with the power selector making it easier to use in manual mode but the switches are small and can be tedious or a bit fiddly to operate. The guide dial on the Vivitar is lighted which can help in low light situations.

I'm not sure how you wake up the 422D after it has auto powered down. You may not be able to do it remotely and have to press the test button on the flash. You can find the manual online.

Either unit should serve you well.
Thank you for the reply. I was also curious about the beep on the Vivitar that I read about. I read it beeps when it is ready to fire and continues to beep until it is. I'm curious how loud it is and if it would be heard if up on a light pole a bit away from the action at a wedding reception. any input on that?
08-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Also the 433d' s I found online says it is for Nikon. Is there one specifically for Pentax? Or will this Nikon one work?

08-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #5

Yes the 285 beeps continuously when it is fully charged. It is lot less louder than the focus confirmation beep on my K!0D, I can barely hear it an arms length away but my hearing isn't what it used to be.

There are Pentax modules for the Sunpak but the flash doesn't support P-TTL. These will set the shutter sync speed though. The module shouldn't matter that much. Mine are for Minolta cameras and work fine. The extra pins don't seem to matter and does not harm the Pentax circuitry. So a Pentax module would be desirable but not necessary. A couple of the *istD models support the older TTL flashes.
08-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
Also the 433d' s I found online says it is for Nikon. Is there one specifically for Pentax? Or will this Nikon one work?
It won't matter if it is Nikon or Pentax, as the Cactus triggers will fire either (they use the center pin to fire). For off camera flash, you really want a flash with manual power level settings (1/64, 1/32, 1/8, 1/4 etc.) if you can get one. It comes in handy when trying to balance the light. This would make the Sunpack a better choice in my opinion.

Tim
08-16-2013, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #7

The Sunpak and Vivitar only go down to 1/16th power.

08-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The Sunpak and Vivitar only go down to 1/16th power.
I didn't see the adjustment dial on the Vivitar pictures, so that would make the Vivitar a better choice since it has the higher guide number.

Tim
08-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #9

The vari-power module is on the front with the sensor. This can be removed and used with a remote sensor cable. The module is an accessory on the Vivitar 283 and both the cable and module are not interchangeable between the 283 and 285. So make sure to get the proper cable/module. The Vivitars do not have swivel heads so that's where the cable comes in handy if you are using auto-modes.

My inclination would be to go with the higher GN. I seldom use my 285 any more - a little too bulky for most of the on camera stuff I do nowadays but I haven't sold it because of the GN.
08-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Does the vivitar stay on? Or does it turn off after not being fired for a certain amount of time? (I'm trying to find the manual online, but figured I'd ask)
08-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #11

The Vivitar 285HV doesn't have auto-off as far as I know unless they added it to later units. It has been in production since the 80s.

Manuals:

http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/vivitar_285hv.pdf
Sunpak Auto zoom 933, Sunpak 444D, Sunpak auto 383 super, sunpak auto 36dx, Sunpak Auto 3075G, sunpak auto 511, Sunpak 611, 422D, Sunpak 433D, Sunpak 622, Sunpak DC3, Sunpak Interface Module,
08-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My choice would be either a Nikon SB-25 or SB-26.
08-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
My choice would be either a Nikon SB-25 or SB-26.
Ah! I thought I had it narrowed down! LOL I think it's one of those deals where I'm on information overload and I'm just confused! So, sell it to me. Tell me why you'd go that way... In the mean time, I'm going to look at the review section here and see what is posted about them.

Thanks!! I do appreciate the suggestions and comments everyone!

Last edited by BethC; 08-16-2013 at 05:51 PM.
08-17-2013, 05:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
Ah! I thought I had it narrowed down! LOL I think it's one of those deals where I'm on information overload and I'm just confused! So, sell it to me. Tell me why you'd go that way...
The Nikon SB-25 and SB-26 flashes are well made, high quality, and readily available on the used market for as little as $70 in excellent condition for the 25 and under $100 for the 26.

Both the SB-25 and SB-26 have a seven stop range, from 1/1 to 1/64.

Power zoom range from 20mm to 85mm.

Sleep mode can be bypassed.

Built-in bounce card.

The SB-26 has an optical slave.

They can be used on camera in manual or auto mode and off camera in manual mode triggered wirelessly and manual or auto mode triggered via pc sync cable.
08-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #15

The Sunpak 422D manual says this:

"Your auto 422D will remain ready to fire even after the circuitry is cut off as long as the orange Ready/Test light stays "on". To reset, just fire the flash again or push the Auto/Off Reset Button."