Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
recommendation for a new SMALL autothyristor flash

There are times when I am travelling light, but encounter a need for a small easily packed off-camera flash (for example subjects behind glass). I don't want twist, swivel, zoom or other features that make the flash unit physically bigger and heavier. I CAN shoot manual, but my experience is a flash with a built-in autothyristor sensor gives reasonably accurate exposures and is great for 'snap and run' shots. I know I will need to also carry a hot shoe adapter and cord (which I already have) to use this type of flash on my K-30.

Something the size of the Pentax AF200T is about the biggest unit I would want, and smaller is better. I would also prefer to not search for a no longer manufactured used unit.

Ideas?

08-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You just made your own recommendation, because that is available at B&H Pentax AF-200FG P-TTL Shoe Mount Flash30465 B&H Photo Video
08-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
You just made your own recommendation, because that is available at B&H Pentax AF-200FG P-TTL Shoe Mount Flash30465 B&H Photo Video
And only(?) $129 with no autothyristor support. It would be a manual-only flash when used off camera (or the price goes higher yet to purchase a P-TTL compatible extension cable). Further, when shooting manual there isn't even any control over power output. I really think the only reason Pentax sells this specific flash is as a shoe replacement for folks that have broken their pop-up flash.

Thanks, but there HAS to be something less expensive within my specs! At least I sure hope so.
08-19-2013, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Something like this?

Rokinon TTL Digital Camera Flash for Pentax | Overstock.com

A little short on features, but it's cheap.

Adorama has a really cheap non-dedicated auto flash...but it isn't small.

Adorama DL-82ABSZ Auto Bounce Non-Dedicated Flash DL-82ABSZ

The thing that seems to come closest to your specs is the Sunpak PF20XD.

Sunpak PF20XD Auto/Manual Digital Slave FlashPF20XD B&H Photo

Last edited by boriscleto; 08-19-2013 at 09:28 AM.
08-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Something like this?

Rokinon TTL Digital Camera Flash for Pentax | Overstock.com

A little short on features, but it's cheap.

Adorama has a really cheap non-dedicated auto flash...but it isn't small.

Adorama DL-82ABSZ Auto Bounce Non-Dedicated Flash DL-82ABSZ

The thing that seems to come closest to your specs is the Sunpak PF20XD.

Sunpak PF20XD Auto/Manual Digital Slave FlashPF20XD B&H Photo
Yes thank you. The Sunpack unit may be the best fit. Small, does both auto (thyristor) and manual. I had to check to make sure it could be triggered on its own without another flash, and it can. I bookmarked it as a definite maybe.
There seems to be no information on the Rokinon unit other than a face shot and that it does TTL, which is totally worthless to me on a K-30. And you are right on about the Adorama flash. I have a nearly identical Vivitar 550FD, and the only reason I am looking for something else is because it is too big for light and fast travel by foot.
08-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a Nikon SB-20 I would be willing to sell you. PM me if you're interested.
08-20-2013, 05:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay, I made a purchase and it wasn't the purchase I expected to make.... I really didn't want to track down a recommended used flash that was no longer in production. But as VoiceOfReason said "You just made your own recommendation". I spent the time on eBay to see if there was a decent Pentax AF200T available .... there was and I bought a unit in excellent shape (with the manual and case) for half of new - not counting the $13 unit I spotted on Amazon.

All your suggestions were beneficial. If nothing else, they triggered Amazon's 'other people have purchased' feature leading to other possibilities (like the above $13 unit). The closest suggestion to my requirements was the Sunpak PF20XD from boriscleto, but at twice the cost of the AF200T.

I owned an AF200T for 20 years and sold it still in excellent shape as an enticement to facilitate the sale of other gear. I probably should have kept it. If the AF200T doesn't work out, I'll resell it and go for the Sunpack flash.

08-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I know you said you don't want used equipment, but if you're interested I have an old Achiever flash unit that I'm willing to donate. It's quite small, light, has film TTL and auto thyristor. If you pay shipping I'll send it your way.