Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Polaroid LED Ring Flash

I bought this off a new member and got everything to use it, but the manual. Does any one know where I can get a manual for the flash? I have searched the web, including Polaroid's own site without any luck.

09-06-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Might sound odd but could you post a photo of it? Many of these devices are multi-branded.
09-06-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Polaroid Universal 48 Macro LED Ring Flash & Light Includes 4 Diffusers - Newegg.com
09-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's my guess:

ON-OFF is easy

Light controls the left/right/both illumination

Mode controls wether it's always on or a burst (flash)

Pilot first a test burst

Left and right control the exposure, with set to confirm. Potentially set is required after each setting change, if so the display should blink or hide other settings while waiting to be set.

I'd be surprised if there was more to it than that.

09-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The button positions, names, and even shapes are identical to the MeiKe FC110, so I'll bet they are the same. I have a FC100, which is the same thing, but without an LCD panel. The MeiKe manual was useless - one small sheet of machine-translated nonsense. (It didn't even say you have to hold down the on/off button until it powers on/off). See the PF reviews of the MeiKe. Don't expect much - it's really more of an LED light than a flash, with the ability to trigger a 1/10 second burst via the hotshoe.

bdery is close, except Mode selects left/right/both, and Light turns on the light on. Left/right just control brightness, and set doesn't seem to do anything.
09-06-2013, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #6

This appears to be the RF-550D by Travor Technology Co. LTD and sold under many different brand names.

Vertical Shoot Battery Grip|Rechargeable Battery Grip

A friend of mine just ordered the Polaroid. I'll see if he will scan the user manual to pdf. Or you can try contacting Travor (good luck).

The GN is 15. Q&A on Amazon says it eats batteries. Have your Eneloops handy,
09-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all for the information and suggestions on use.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
A friend of mine just ordered the Polaroid. I'll see if he will scan the user manual to pdf
Thanks Not a Number. I tried Travor's site, but found nothing useful there.And they are located in China. If your friend could scan as a .pdf that would be great. I'll send you a pm with my email address.

09-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
True to his word, Not A Number emailed me a manual for this ring flash. Thanks a Bunch!! Like given.
09-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #9

The thanks really goes to my friend who took the time to scan the two page bare-bones instruction sheet. Nothing to it other than a description and operation of the parts and controls. No exposure tables at all. A few of the shots my friend has taken with his Nikon (Sigma 105mm macro and kit lens with extension tubes) look promising. The lighting is very even without the harsh close to burned-out highlights I often get with my old Lester Dine (Yuzo) flash ring. Figuring out exposure is a pain since it doesn't support any TTL modes (you get what you pay for). He thinks the way to go is to sit down with a gray card with spot-metering and play around with the power settings at various apertures. From this make a cheat spreadsheet.

He was trying it with his old Minolta lenses and bellows but it is one of the older model bellows with only the front standard moveable. Not enough clearance for the flash ring except at maximum extension. Not a problem if you have the Minolta Auto Bellow III or Bellows IV or any of the Pentax Auto Bellows - they all have movable rear standards.
09-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the follow up. I plan to use mine with my Tamron SP 90mm Macro lens. I have not tried it as yet because I can't use manual focus at this time. In November, after my eye surgery is when I plan on using this setup. I'll keep in mind what your friend said.
02-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I know this thread is old but since I created it to start with, I feel safe commenting here again. I need help with this ring flash. It's not working on my K-30. Has anyone tried this or any other ring flash on a Pentax K-30?
02-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have, but I don't bother with it being a "flash", since it's so slow to turn on and off. I just turn the light on, adjust the brightness level & camera settings, and blast away.
02-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I just turn the light on, adjust the brightness level & camera settings, and blast away.
So how do you adjust brightness level? And which camera settings are you using?
02-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
So how do you adjust brightness level? And which camera settings are you using?
Of the lower three buttons, the left and right ones adjust brightness level. The middle one ("set") doesn't seem to do anything. I don't remember what camera settings I used - to start out, I would just go with something like f/8 in Av mode, and let the camera work out ISO and shutter speed.
02-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the instructions Todd.

I just wish I could get it to work as a flash on the K-30. It works this way on my K-x.