Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
AF360FGZ Repair - Help Needed!

Anyone ever have an AF360FGZ repaired? My light stand fell, hit the door on the carpet. Since the stand wasn't set very high, and the carpet was quite padded, the flash hit the ground with about half a pound of force. Maybe less. Probably a lot less. Of course all 3 tabs that hold the door closed broke off like it was hit with a cannon ball.

Has anyone ever successfully repaired this? Either by a straightforward means (i.e. sending it to Pentax), or an old fashioned "farmer" solution. I can't see how to get tape to work, a C-Clamp would be clumsy, no place to put a screw really.

Ideas, suggestions, anything?

Help Me Obi-Wan, you are my only hope.

09-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

velcro strap?
09-11-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Flash Repairs?

Hello Kozlok,
I tried Google for 'flash repair Pentax AF360' and came up with UnitedCamera.com.
Now, I've never used this service and don't own any stock in the company. But they seem to have a wide range of repair services for the major camera brands and products. I clicked on the AF360fgz menu for 'battery door repair' and got a quick estimate quote of $42.00 USD.
FWIW, check it out...
Ron
09-11-2013, 04:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Might want to try contacting CRIS?

I'm waiting for mine to break ... seems like any day now ...

Seems like someone could make a replacement on a 3-D printer. The material is at least as sturdy as what the original door is made out of. Sell them on ebay for $25, and on the PF marketplace for $15.

09-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In my case, the door isn't broken, it's the little tabs on the body that broke. I think it's the more difficult (expensive) repair.

As far as a velcro strap, to work, it would cover up all the buttons, the screen, and the IR receiver.
09-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yikes!

Hi Kozlok,
Well, if it's the tabs, you may be out of luck. A repair to the body (shell, housing, whatever the proper name is) might be near $100. I bought a used AF360 for $120, so repairing it may not be cost-effective. I'd try getting an estimate from C.H.R.I.S., then super glue, in that order.
JMO,
Ron
09-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
.... no place to put a screw really ...
What about carefully drilling a couple small pilot holes in the body, along the perimeter of the cover, and then installing a couple self-threading pan-head screws? That might give you enough of a flange to keep the cover in place. You would need to use short screws of course, so you don't screw into some circuitry. Or use lots of washers.

If you position them right, you might still be able to slide the cover off when you need to replace the batteries.

Yeah I looked at my AF 360FGZ, and if my tabs ever break, as you pointed out, there will be no place to wrap some kind of reinforcing strap of velcro or gaffers tape or anything. Not even a good place to slip a large springy loop of plastic or metal over the whole thing, without covering up some important bits.

09-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Banned

If I get a chance I will post a photo of my door repair. My flash hit the ground with enough force to break the red plastic piece off the front, snap that piece in half and all the door tabs snapped off.
Using 2 part epoxy with the door open I glued a small screw in the lower rear corner of the door opening with the threads pointing out. Then drilled a hole through the door for the threads to pass.
When the door is closed I thread a nut on the bolt and the door is now held solidly closed in that lower rear corner.
This would only hold that corner well but the upper corner flexed out enough for the batteries to not make good contact.
I used a mountain bike inner tube to fix this. The rubber is better than any rubber band you might have and never dries out it is also much stronger when stretched. I use it for all sorts of stuff. I cut 1/4" bands and put them around the flash where they would cross over on each side. On the side with the door it would apply enough pressure so that there would be good battery contact. This also allowed full "tilt range" of the flash.
The only down side to this fix is that it takes a few extra minutes to change the batteries. I have been using it in this way for about a year.

Last edited by docucap; 09-21-2013 at 11:15 AM.
05-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

just adding a related thread in case this thread hits a future search:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/296343...ing-legos.html
05-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by docucap Quote
If I get a chance I will post a photo of my door repair. My flash hit the ground with enough force to break the red plastic piece off the front, snap that piece in half and all the door tabs snapped off.
Using 2 part epoxy with the door open I glued a small screw in the lower rear corner of the door opening with the threads pointing out. Then drilled a hole through the door for the threads to pass.
When the door is closed I thread a nut on the bolt and the door is now held solidly closed in that lower rear corner.
This would only hold that corner well but the upper corner flexed out enough for the batteries to not make good contact.
I used a mountain bike inner tube to fix this. The rubber is better than any rubber band you might have and never dries out it is also much stronger when stretched. I use it for all sorts of stuff. I cut 1/4" bands and put them around the flash where they would cross over on each side. On the side with the door it would apply enough pressure so that there would be good battery contact. This also allowed full "tilt range" of the flash.
The only down side to this fix is that it takes a few extra minutes to change the batteries. I have been using it in this way for about a year.
Any chance you can post those photos of your repair? I have the same problem.
05-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this is what I did to both AF360FGZ flashes that I purchased for $60 from someone on this list -- both had broken doors.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mjsfoto1956/23668119964/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mjsfoto1956/23654301933/in/photostream/

Opening up the units is a touch finicky but the illustrated diagram shows how the parts are related to each other.

Michael
05-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #12
Forum Member

Thanks! That's elaborate.