Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #1

Looking for a flash.. which one?

Hello

I'm pretty new to the world of slr's. I bought a k10d and love taking pictures with it. My next purchase is gonna be a flash, I just don't know what I need. I am looking for a good multi-purpose flash that is easy to learn on and not intimidating. Something that can go full auto and take a GOOD picture or can be set with some knowledge and take a GREAT picture.
Thanx

03-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lotsa discussion about this. Check out this thread in the knowledge base section where I've collected the available P-TTL (that is, camera-controlled automatic) options.

In the current version there I simply list them by their stated flash power with a 50mm (35mm-frame) field of view (which is ~35mm on our K10Ds.) There's other important distinguishing features too.

One feature I'd rate as a must-have is wireless optical flash control, which means either the Pentax-brand flashes or the Metz ones or the Super version of the Sigma.

I had the Sigma, but ultimately returned it due to several shortcomings, the most insurmountable being that it was falsely triggered off-camera by the K10D's focus-assist strobe. So I got the Metz 48 AF-1 instead, and am pretty happy with it. I chose that over the Pentax AF360FGZ because it has a tilt and swivel head (instead of just tilt), which is essential for bounce flash in portrait orientation on-camera. (It's also built more solidly and has a nicer design than the Sigma. The built-in bounce card is nifty, for example.)
03-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the help
03-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Does it work with K100D?

I am also thinking to get a flash for my K100D.
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I just want to know if the wireless function of those flashes (Pentax/Metz//Sigma) will work with K100D?

Matt what do you think about the Metz 48 AF-1 performance?
I read from some threads here that the max sync speed is only 1/125.
Also some people say that it can't be used as slave directly w/Pentax or need separate module (maybe I'm wrong about this)?

03-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
I am also thinking to get a flash for my K100D.
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I just want to know if the wireless function of those flashes (Pentax/Metz//Sigma) will work with K100D?

Matt what do you think about the Metz 48 AF-1 performance?
I read from some threads here that the max sync speed is only 1/125.
Also some people say that it can't be used as slave directly w/Pentax or need separate module (maybe I'm wrong about this)?
I'm quite happy with the performance. Works well, puts out all the light I need in most situations, and does a relatively decent job of getting the exposure right with P-TTL. High speed sync and wireless modes work as they should.

The sync speed is a factor of the camera body, not the flash. Here's the deal with with the 1/125th number you've seen quoted, investigated by Richard Day:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/155766-post7.html
In short, the flash can only do full power at longer durations. But it's also the case with Pentax flashes in basically exactly the same way.

You need a separate module with some of the Metz lines, but the 48 AF-1 and 58 AF-1 are "dedicated" units which just work.

That said, you can't use the internal flash of the K100D as a controller — you need the K10D or K20D for that. Or, you can use an AF360FGZ or AF540FGZ or Metz 58 AF-1 (but not 48 AF-1) or — I think, but not tested — the Sigma flash (probably only the Super version?).
03-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks, Matt!

Too bad the 48 doesn't work wirelessly w/ K100D.
I guess I'll wait till I have enough money to buy the K20D then.
Meanwhile I'll just keep practicing w/ my old Albinar flash.

Have fun shooting!