Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Best diffuser for my AF540

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I know that "the best" is quite subjective, but I just want to know your personal best. I haven't used flash for a long time since I do like the natural look. However, I'm learning lighting techniques right now off the Strobist blog for my upcoming wedding shooting. So right now i'm looking for a good diffuser for my flash. I've seen the Gary Fong "toilet bowl". But the damn thing is quite big. I do want a low profile one, but if the Gary Fong's one is clearly superior to the rest, then I guess I would go with that one. Any thought? Thank you.

03-27-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here's what I do with my 540FGZ...

Put a Gary Fong Light Sphere II on the 540FGZ and mount it on camera. Set it at full power and wireless Master.

Get 1 or 2 other wireless flashes (360FGZ's) and put them to 1 side on you (I mount them on light weight tripods). Set them as wireless Slaves and bounce them off the ceiling.

Take picture as you normally would. You'll turn night into day.

It's really that easy.
03-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
Inactive Account

+1 on the Gary Fong Light Sphere.

I have both designs (the clear and the milky white one)

I can't get over the difference it makes for me with just my one 540.

If you search ebay you will find the generic ones for a quarter of the price of the GF ones.

D.
03-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
Inactive Account

tranq78, which model did you get - the clear one or the frosted one?

03-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #5

Before you do anything else, make a Better Bounce Card and learn how to use it. Works better. Seriously. Beyond that, you can't really go wrong with a Sto-fen omnibounce, and I also hear lots of praise for the Joe Demb Flip-it--google that one. Lightsphere is big, heavy, and overpriced for what it does, IMO. You can also try the Lumiquest Pro-Max system--it's the only one that gives you the option of directing all light forward when there isn't a ceiling available. It doesn't work in portrait, though.

ABetterBounceCard.com (Skip to 3/4 through the video... this guy talks too much)
03-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I made two different sizes of the one shown here: DIY Reflector-Diffuser I glued them together instead of his staple method. The foam sheets were less than 50 cents each and the plastic mesh in the center less than $1. I bought my supplies at Walmart in the craft/sewing section.

Direct Flash

Using the bigger diffuser

Tim
03-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #7

If my humble opinion might be expressed: Lumiquest complete system has saved my ... several times when me and my cams metering where in doubt :-) Maybe clumsy but very creative and flexible IMO.
Best and happy to avoid shadows, JR

03-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benplaut Quote
Before you do anything else, make a Better Bounce Card and learn how to use it. Works better. Seriously. Beyond that, you can't really go wrong with a Sto-fen omnibounce, and I also hear lots of praise for the Joe Demb Flip-it--google that one. Lightsphere is big, heavy, and overpriced for what it does, IMO. You can also try the Lumiquest Pro-Max system--it's the only one that gives you the option of directing all light forward when there isn't a ceiling available. It doesn't work in portrait, though.

ABetterBounceCard.com (Skip to 3/4 through the video... this guy talks too much)
LOL, thanks for the link, and the guy is indeed talkative. This option is definitely smaller, portable, and cheaper. I am probably going to try this one 1st.
03-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your help. More inputs would be appreciated for other people as well. I think I'll try the home-made one 1st.
03-27-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Another vote for the Sto-Fen Omni bounce diffuser. It's small, lightweight and gives consistent results. Hard to believe it only costs about $20. I do want to check out a Gary Fong unit though. All shots @ f5.6 with a Metz 36C-2 flash unit.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Bokeh; 03-27-2008 at 07:32 PM.
03-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dkittle Quote
tranq78, which model did you get - the clear one or the frosted one?
I have the clear version.
03-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use the Sunpak diffusers. Two different sizes in the package. They are mini folding light boxes for the flash. Work great and fold up totally flat for storage. Fits about any flash since you use Velcro to hold it on. Use same ones on 540 and 360 flashes. Nice system.
thanks
barondla
03-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #13
Inactive Account

For those that are interested... here are the ebay Light Sphere versions:

Lambency Soft Flash Diffuser for Canon 540 550 4 - (eBay.ca item 160220716189 end time 30-Mar-08 06:42:40 EDT)

For $8.00 you can't really go wrong.

I ordered one of each (milky and clear) to compare to my GF ones.

I needed a 2nd set for my other off camera flashes anyways.

I ahave a sneaky suspicion that they are going to be identical.

D.
03-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Joe Demb's Jumbo Diffuser is awesome... better than GF lightspheres and the stofen omnibounce. Its super portable too!
03-28-2008, 12:26 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
Joe Demb's Jumbo Diffuser is awesome... better than GF lightspheres and the stofen omnibounce. Its super portable too!
...which is the same as the big flip-it, but unnecessarily bigger