Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #1

What is a Speedlite?

Hi all, I am somewhat confused by the term 'Speedlite'. I have a Pentax K5 and also a Canon G12. When I wanted to get a decent flash for the Canon G12 I had to choose from Canon's range of Speedlite flashes. From this I naturally assumed the 'Speedlite' was a Canon brand name and therefore such flashes would only work on Canon bodies.

But since then I have seen the term bandied around in the same way as people would talk about 'flash'. So....

- Is a 'Speedlite' a Canon-only flash gun?
- Or is it some sort of industry standard for a super flash gun? And should my Canon Speedlite therefore also work on my Pentax K5?
- If so, then what sets a 'Speedlite' apart from a normal flashgun?

Or is it simply a more sexy term for a normal flashgun (and therefore misused if Speedlite is a Canon brand name)?

Richard

09-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon calls their flashguns 'Speedlites' and Nikon calls theirs 'Speedlights'. The general public often uses the terms interchangeably and for flashguns that are not Nikon or Canon but that is not really correct.

According to this article: Nikon Speedlight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Nikon has 'Speedlight' trademarked so others have used 'Speedlite' to get around that. Interesting that the article names Ricoh as a competitor.
09-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think there is any logic to it at all. All I can do is add to the confusion.

I have a Yongnuo YN560-III flash which has the word Speedlite imprinted on it.
I also have Ricoh flashes which are branded as "XR Speedlite 300P" and "Speedlite 303P"

Both the Ricohs are TTL on Ricoh XRP SLR and although they work on my Pentax K7 I am not sure if they work in TTL mode. The Yongnuo is a fully manual unit.
09-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Speedlight is to flash as cellotape is to packaging tape.

09-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use "speedlight" to mean a hot shoe mounted flashgun, but I also have a couple "potato mashers" or handle mounted flashguns. Of course they're all "strobes" but if you say that to a studio photographer they'll take issue with it.