Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Help setting up off camera flash

I have a K5ii and a mecablitz 52 AF-1 digital flash. I want to get a flash bracket and put the flash off to the side of the camera and I don't want to use the on camera flash to trigger the Metz flash. I'm trying to understand how to do this (as inexpensively as possible) but I haven't been able to really wrap my head around a lot of the terminology.

I know I need a flash bracket to mount on the bottom of the camera that the flash can be mounted to. I think I need a hot shoe adapter and a sync cable for the flash. Is that correct?

If so, what do people recommend for the cables and adapters? I found how shoe adapters on the pentax website but they say they only work with the pentax flash units. Do I need to buy a Metz brand hot shoe adapter? What about the cable?

09-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This is what you want.
Vivitar Digital Off Shoe Flash Cord for Pentax Cameras VIVFCPEN

This will work for any Pentax "5P" compatible hotshoe and flash. Meaning P-TTL or TTL. In other words, it will work on all Pentax DSLRs, as well as Pentax film SLRs. It will also work with fully manual flashes.

Although the picture on the packaging shows a Sony hotshoe, the cable will indeed be a Pentax "5P" connector. The build quality is surprisingly very good.

In case it wasn't obvious, I really like mine.
09-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Tanzer!

I ordered one just now :-)
09-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I just verified that the end which connects to the flash has a male coldshoe as well as standard tripod threading on the bottom. So it ought to work on pretty much any flash bracket without the need for any additional adapters. (My bracket came with both a tripod threaded thumbscrew, as well as a female coldshoe which screws onto that, so I was covered either way.) Have fun!

10-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Awesome. Thanks for checking that.
10-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, a new but related question that I can't seem to figure out. My external flash will not fire when I put a reverse mounted lens on my camera. The on camera flash will go no problem but the metz refuses to fire. I've been reading the manual for the K-01 and the metz and neither is helping.

I figured that if I just put the metz in manual it would just fire at full strength but nothing happens. Anyone know what I am missing?
10-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm not familiar with macro setups so unfortunately I can be of much help. I would have thought that a reversed lens would would allow the hotshoe to be triggered, since the camera shouldn't need to know anything about the lens contacts.

You might want to start a new thread to include the words "flash" and "macro", as that will probably get more attention from the experts. Good luck!

10-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
So, a new but related question that I can't seem to figure out. My external flash will not fire when I put a reverse mounted lens on my camera. The on camera flash will go no problem but the metz refuses to fire. I've been reading the manual for the K-01 and the metz and neither is helping.

I figured that if I just put the metz in manual it would just fire at full strength but nothing happens. Anyone know what I am missing?
I couldn't get my pentax 540 to fire remotely the other night, drove me crazy as i had a pretty girl sitting against a red sunset!, I tried a different camera and it worked perfectly. When I got home I thought about it, put the flash on the hot shoe and took some shots to sync the flash, and all is good. So maybe it's out of sync, if not, does it work with normal lens set ups?

Tuggie76
10-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, it works fine with a lens on normal. I was thinking that I must have set something wrong so I put on a lens, checked all my settings on both the flash and the camera and fired off a few shots to confirm the flash was working. Both flash and camera are set to Manual. Then I powered off the camera, swapped on my reversed lens, and powered the camera back up and the flash won't go. It does this on both the K5ii and the K-01.

I'm totally new to flash photography so I figure I am probably screwing up some basic step that everyone takes for granted that everyone knows.
10-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I used the reset function on the flash and now everything is working fine. LOL Thanks to both of you for your help :-)