Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You might check and see if the YN560's have an optical sensor
I have the v1 YN560 and it does have an optical sensor. That will work fine if you use a wireless trigger to fire the first flash then optical slave for a second - all manual of course. It will not work if you use the on-board flash as the "master" to fire, as the initial flash from the camera (for the PTTL exposure information) will trigger the optical receiver before the actual shutter release. Not that that's particularly relevant to the set-up you're looking at, but good to know regardless.

10-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
What's the 'power' and user friendliness of the YN flashes? The II since we determined the III would be redundant.
All the 560 series I believe to be rated at 58 (ie: good for 58 meters @ ISO 100, 105mm)
My Metz is only 52 but in the field, I don't really see any difference.

Review
This link is for the v.1 as I can't find a review of the v.11
10-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adinfinitum Quote
All the 560 series I believe to be rated at 58 (ie: good for 58 meters @ ISO 100, 105mm)
My Metz is only 52 but in the field, I don't really see any difference.

Review
This link is for the v.1 as I can't find a review of the v.11

I see those numbers and they do nothing for me. Well except to contribute to my confusion level. 58 meters @ISO 100, 105mm???

Seriously... I feel a migraine coming on...care to explain what all that jive means? 58 meters away or what?
10-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #19

I see those numbers and they do nothing for me. Well except to contribute to my confusion level. 58 meters @ISO 100, 105mm???

Seriously... I feel a migraine coming on...care to explain what all that jive means? 58 meters away or what?
It doesn't mean anything in the real-world it is simply a guide to compare. It essentially means the flash is supposed to give you a decent exposure of an object up to 58 (divided by f stop) metres away, when your camera is set to ISO100, with a lens of focal length of 105mm. If you use a wider lens, then the angle of the flash is increased, and the distance subsequently decreases.

In short, the higher the guide number, the more powerful the flash. Most hot-shoe flashes will hover around the 50 mark, so 58 is pretty good at this price and size.

Last edited by Adinfinitum; 10-02-2013 at 10:35 PM.
10-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The guide number of a flash is a measure of its relative power. That is a really simplistic answer. A more accurate answer: Strobist: Guide Number: Your Free Flash Meter
10-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It doesn't mean anything in the real-world it is simply a guide to compare. It essentially means the flash is supposed to give you a decent exposure of an object up to 58 metres away, when your camera is set to ISO100, with a lens of focal length of 105mm. If you use a wider lens, then the angle of the flash is increased, and the distance subsequently decreases.

In short, the higher the guide number, the more powerful the flash. Most hot-shoe flashes will hover around the 50 mark, so 58 is pretty good at this price and size.
Is that tested in pitch black conditions? 58 meters is pretty far... That seems more than adequate for me....
10-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #22

The guide number of a flash is a measure of its relative power. That is a really simplistic answer. A more accurate answer: Strobist: Guide Number: Your Free Flash Meter
Much better answer than mine, but also more complicated

10-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Is 58 the guide number in the post above?
Like I said I am starting with nothing but a desire to know....

You guys are awesome to carry on like this... this is great...

I will be back on later.. I need to be up at 530am....
10-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #24

Is that tested in pitch black conditions? 58 meters is pretty far... That seems more than adequate for me....
Like Jatrax has answered, it is really a relative guide not a definitive measurement. The simple answer is if you want more power, look for the highest guide number. Anything over 50-56 is pretty good. anything higher and you will be looking at larger, less portable units. But power, and certainly guide numbers, don't tell the whole story.
10-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I wonder what I could accomplish with a Q beam and some aluminum foil... hmmmm...
10-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #26
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
To reiterate comments made by others, I've been using Cactus v5 'transceivers' and Yongnuo YN560 II flashes for a while now and find them fine. Yes, the flashes are manual only, but to be honest that's what I prefer anyway. Plus my entire set up, including a couple of cheapish light stands and modifiers cost about the same as a single AF540FGZ Pentax flash! If you haven't already done so, check out the strobist.blogspot.com site, which is a great source of practical advice on getting started.
10-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #27
Closed Account

I have the following hybrid setup and I always & only use manual exposure:

Two Pentax 540 AF flashes - Bought 1 new ( 400 USD) & 1 Used ( 250 USD). I use two cameras at events ( 1 wide & 1 longer lens ) so a flash on each with the " black foamy thing" . Cameras are manual, flashes are set for P-TTL, usually - 1 EV. I also use HSS mode to fill in bright sun. Sometimes I use them in manual mode. The site where you read about the black foamy thing is a very good place to learn about flash

One Yongnuo yn-560 II Flash. This was about 60 USD and is all manual exposure. If I never used P TTL or HSS, I would only buy these. They are about as powerful as the Pentax 540's, swivel & tilt. I bought this as an extra flash for studio work.

All the flashes use 4 AA's I use Powerex batteries & charger, many swear by Sanyo Eneloops.

I have used all 3 with multiple sets of Cowboy Studio aka PT-04 wireless transmitters & receivers, direct purchase or Amazon. These are throw away cheap ( like that drawer of cellphones & remotes) and they work. About 20 bucks a set. I carry 4 sets. The receivers use AAA's ( I use good alkalines) and the transmitter uses a 23A 12 Volt found at any drug or office supply store.

The transmitter goes on the camera hot shoe. The receivers mount on the flash hot shoes or by the sync port which the Youngnou can use. The Pentax flashes have a proprietary sync port so the hot shoe is the way to go.

These units only fire the flash, no other control. Pentax does not offer the wireless capability that Canon & Nikon do.

I have used the transmitter to fire 3 flashes. I use the receivers on my Alien Bee monolights. I have used the monolights & flash together fired by 1 trigger.

The Pocket Wizards that send I-TTL & E-TTl info for Canon & Nikon aren't available for Pentax. Pentax does not currently have PTTL wireless except its own optical capability.

Youngnuo makes flashes that work like Canon & Nikon TTL flashes. Not available for Pentax
10-03-2013, 03:17 AM   #28
Veteran Member

3. Flash needs to tilt and swivel both.

5. Can't be 'too expensive'.

6. I am of the school that more horsepower is good. Although I might not use it at full blast power all the time, it's nice to have extra if I want it.
I don't particularly care for Chinese made and especially Chinese branded stuff.
You don't define what you consider too expensive, so given your requirements of tilt/swivel, horsepower, and not Chinese made, and not knowing your budget constraints,I recommend a used Nikon SB-24, SB-25, or SB-26 flash and a set of Paul C. Buff Cybersync transmitters. The Nikon speedlights are readily available used in excellent condition for under $100, and the Cybersync triggers are $60 for the trigger and $70 for each receiver.
10-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
for the $$ they are very good - again only manual so don't be put off by the fact that all listings on Ebay will cite "for Canon or Nikon". They work fine for Pentax just no TTL.

So if it has "Canon" or "Nikon" it will still work on Pentax? What if I want to take the flash and put it directly on my hotshoe on the camera itself? Will it still work then? Are the contacts/mounts/triggering systems pretty standard or no?

Specifically if I ask for those yongnu 560 II and it says it's for cannon etc... will it work in my K5's hotshoe if I want it to?
10-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
So if it has "Canon" or "Nikon" it will still work on Pentax? What if I want to take the flash and put it directly on my hotshoe on the camera itself? Will it still work then? Are the contacts/mounts/triggering systems pretty standard or no?

Specifically if I ask for those yongnu 560 II and it says it's for cannon etc... will it work in my K5's hotshoe if I want it to?
Specifically talking about the YN-560 II, all regular hotshoe versions work the same on any camera with a hotshoe, they are all made exactly the same. The only exception being Sony and their strange flash shoe. The sellers only list "For [brand]" to attract buyers who use that brand.