Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sigma EF-610 Super DG problems

I think my flash is boned.

I put it on wireless mode, set everything up and correctly, stick the flash on a tripod. It will fire a couple of times, and then stop. Actually, if I wait a while before taking a shot it won't fire at all. It's like it's forgetting the setup after a VERY short while. Like, 20 seconds or so. The only way to get it to work again is to put the flash back on the camera, half-press the shutter button, and then put the flash back on the tripod.

Batteries are nice and fresh, so it's not that.

Is my flash hosed? Or am I missing something?

Charles.

10-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Charles- I have never experienced this with my Sigma EF-610DG Super. If your flash works correctly, and with no changes to the setup, it doesn't, I'd say there is a problem. The ONLY thing I can think of is if 'couple of times' is more like a couple dozen shots at full output. The flash may be shutting down due to thermal issues. See pages 16-17 in the manual.
10-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The flash always works when attached to the hot shoe.

In Wireless PTT mode, it's time-dependent. If I set it up, and immediately take a shot, it will work for two or three shots. If I wait more than say 10 seconds, it will stop working. This is only in wireless mode.

It always fires when set up as slave, but when set up with PTT control using a pre-flash to communicate, it is not working correctly.

Charles.
10-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Sounds like your flash is defective. I probably use my 610 more often as a wireless P-TTL triggered by my camera's built-in flash than attached to the hotshoe. I've never experienced your issue.

11-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It sounds like the circuit board is damaged. Mine would charge, but not fire. Learned the bulb blew and damaged the circuit board. Not exactly the same issues, but there's so few parts in these things.

I had to send mine in for repair last year. Took about 4 weeks to get it back during the Christmas holiday season. Had to buy another Sigma flash in the interim to keep going. The service center was on holiday between Christmas and New Years. Wish you luck in getting it working.
11-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sigma has a lot of features at a great price, but it does not seem to be well made. I had a similar issue which turned out to the the switch on the wide angle diffuser. It finally came off in my hands when I was fiddling with it. I shoved it back in never to be used (or usable) again. The good news is that the wireless P-TTL works much more reliably now.