Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #1

TTL flash problem with K10D

Hi- I love my K10D and it's served me very well in all respects except using the built in flash- the results are always very underexposed but since it's not a mode I use often I've not really bothered to persue it. I recently had need for,some reliable indoor lighting and I bought a Mecablitz 58 AF-2 flashgun - same problem! No matter how many permutations of every setting I've tried the results are always several stops under when using P-TTL mode. Using the Metz on auto produces lovely well exposed results so,I suspect the K10 rather than the gun is the culprit. Thoughts from anyone more experienced than me? Don't know where to go next except to a K3 which is an expensive fix! Thanks for,any thoughts!

10-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hate to ask the obvious, but are you using an A-series lens or newer (i.e. DA, DFA, FA, F, etc.)? Your lens needs to support auto-aperture for P-TTL to work.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by docjell Quote
Hi- I love my K10D and it's served me very well in all respects except using the built in flash- the results are always very underexposed but since it's not a mode I use often I've not really bothered to persue it. I recently had need for,some reliable indoor lighting and I bought a Mecablitz 58 AF-2 flashgun - same problem! No matter how many permutations of every setting I've tried the results are always several stops under when using P-TTL mode. Using the Metz on auto produces lovely well exposed results so,I suspect the K10 rather than the gun is the culprit. Thoughts from anyone more experienced than me? Don't know where to go next except to a K3 which is an expensive fix! Thanks for,any thoughts!
Have you accidently dialed in some negative exposure compensation for the flash?

Tuggie76
10-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi.
Post a sample photo with exif data intact, that will help someone spot any "obvious" problem.

10-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys - Tuggie I don't think I have but will check again. Calsan - good idea - I'll get onto it
Cheers
10-10-2013, 03:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you got the upgrade to the latest Metz firmware? I had problems with my AF 1 version on my K-01 and K5, installed the update and it works fine on all my Pentax cameras now (K10D included).

Pentax: Metz

One thing that caught me out was not to power up the flash, just plug it into any USB port, then the firmware install program will recognise the flash and install the firmware.

Chris
10-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
How embarrassing! Yes on closer inspection the EV compensation was three stops out- minutes to fix months of frustration!Now all going well- thanks for everyone's input!