Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Inbuilt flash recycling

I often use inbuilt flash dialled down to -1.7 EV or -1.3 EV to fill high contrast outdoor or indoor scenes on my K5. To be honest, i can get result as good as a Nikon external fill flash on a Nikon dslr.

The shutter after the shot with filled flash is then frozen for 2 seconds before it can be activated again for the next shot presuming the camera is still copying and recharging the power of the inbuilt flash.
Does anyone know if there is a way to shorten that recycling time? I don't like external flash plus TTL to fill a scene.

Does the battery grip with extra battery help to shorten the recycling time?

Many thanks for your help...

10-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the k-5 there is a menu item (C-3-20) Release while charging. The default is off, "disables shutter release while the built-in flash is charging". Changing this to 'On' will allow you to take another shot before the flash has completely recharged and might speed things up.

It will not AFAIK, actually decrease the amount of time required to re-charge the flash. So, if you need the flash for each shot this might not help. I don't think there is anything you can do to decrease charge time, I get about the same as you are reporting so it's not your camera.

One thing I have done is get a small external flash (I use AF-200T) set it to all manual and adjust the flash power using the sliders on the back. Recharge time is not an issue, the flash is quite small and has plenty of power for fill.
10-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you for the info....will definitely try the external flash.

The small amount of extra light can make a huge difference to a photo taken during the day, especially to the shadows.

All the best.