Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Cactus AF50p HSS w/ k-30 works!

I just got a warranty replacement from Gadget Infinity for my AF50p flash. ( It had a zoom motor problem when fresh alkaline batteries were used.)
I wanted to report the following:
-k30 HSS appears to be working with this firmware and meters well.
-You can now use wireless channels other than "1" (previously on both k10 and k30, the flash did not communicate the channel to the camera.)
-Gadget Infinity customer service is pretty great if you can get past the shipping times to HK. If you are going to buy a tumax/ vivitar/ cactus flash, get it from Gadget Infinity so you have support.
-I have emailed them to ask exactly what firmware is used and will update this post when they reply.

10-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to hear! Too bad you can't buy the Cactus brand P-TTL flashes from Gadget Infinity anymore... or at least they haven't listed them for a loooong time. Only Metz right now!
10-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
aka

Original Poster
I just heard back from them and though he didn't say what the new firmware is, my impression is that nothing previously sold had this new firmware. That is, I was initially told I had the newest firmware but it seems like someone thereafter they came up with an update.

Anyhow, for the cost of shipping to HK, you can get the new firmware.
ALSO, the guy that helped me said they now have "5-6" in stock of the new version even though they are not listed on the website.
FWIW, I think the replacement was
packaged a little differently than my model from a year ago. I think the box was slightly different and it came with a different fabric storage bag as well.
If anyone gets a different story from GI, pm me and I will send the email address of the person that helped me.
10-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
aka

Original Poster
One last thing: I only have one pttl flash so haven't been able to test wireless HSS.

12-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #5

I bought a new AF50p from Gadget Infinity and it arrived last week. I've been using it for a few days and seems very good. Though I can't get HSS to work and it doesn't seem to recognize the lens on my K30. I'm working with Gadget Infinity to resolve.