Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2008, 01:14 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ringflash

Hi guys, just a quick qestion:
Is there a ring flas which would work with Pentax P-TTL ?!?
If yes, can you give me tips which is good and so on?
I have in mind something like this:
SIGMA EM-140 EM140 Electronic Macro DG Flashgun (Canon) @ 219

04-01-2008, 02:38 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only one I know of, and Im not sure about it, is the promaster system. They have a flash module for pentax and then a ringflash module so if you combine those it might work. I havent heard of anyone using it though so Im not sure. look at the promaster website for more.

Other options include ringflash adaptors for normal pttl flashes although none of these can replace a real ring flash. Resorting to auto and manual flash, you can use any manufacturers ring flashes.
04-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
The only one I know of, and Im not sure about it, is the promaster system. They have a flash module for pentax and then a ringflash module so if you combine those it might work. I havent heard of anyone using it though so Im not sure. look at the promaster website for more.

Other options include ringflash adaptors for normal pttl flashes although none of these can replace a real ring flash. Resorting to auto and manual flash, you can use any manufacturers ring flashes.
dI"ve asked a similar question a few messages down under the topic "macro-flash' and have drawn no responses.

My instinct is that making a suitable one is going to be very difficult.

You have to measure the light somewhere that is getting to the sensor.
The logical place to do that is at the sensor as the TTL system did, but
if you are retrogressing to an extenal sensor, this isn't too bad at normal distances because the amount of light getting to an external sensor will be similar to the amount getting to an internal one, but in the world of Macro photography with things so close, the angles are sharp, and external reading are totally unreliabile.

I"m using a Pentax AF080C in manual mode which isn't too bad, if you have the luxury of a few test shots to calibrate the exposure.

YOu do need to disable the auto focus because the amount of light required is strongly a function of distance to the object so you sort of need to lock down
the focal distance, and then adjust what you can adjust---ISO, manual power settings, and F stops until you can get the desired result. IF you have the ISO settint set to an 'AUTO' range, its time to remember to disable that as well