Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #31

Oh no!!!
They removed the sync port. So how are the strobists out there feeling??
Myself--well that puts me in a pickle as I am starting to get freelance jobs that require external flash units to do pro level lighting setups and removing the sync ports mean I won't be able to use any Pocket Wizards to remotely trigger the flash units. Is that why when they went to test the new k3 "in studio" they didn't bother to even try...

bauldrick...

11-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yes you will need an extra hot shoe adapter with a sync socket if your radios don't have a hotshoe.
Like Amazon.com: RainbowImaging Flash Hot Shoe Adapter with PC Sync Socket for Canon Camera & Flashes: Camera & Photo
11-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I was just reading a thread over on dpreview, and it looks like they also removed auto mode from the new version of the flash? Is that true too? If that is really true, that's another strike against the new model. Wow.
11-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Auto-mode is almost a necessity considering how lousy P-TTL is.

11-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Thank you for posting this information, but my ability to understand these numbers is lacking...
I currently own a Sigma 610 Super as my primary flash. From the sigma website, it appears the Sigma 610 Super is more powerful, but that's not an apple to apple comparison since the dispersion pattern may be different.
The Sigma is just a little more powerful (at least against the V1). At ISO100 and with a 50mm lens, it's GN46 (Sigma) versus GN45 (Pentax); this means that at f/4, you have 25cm extra reach with the Sigma . At ISO 400, you have gained 50cm. The main advantage in this comparison will be that the Sigma has a zoom head that can be set to 105mm (Pentax 85mm) so the light will me more concentrated and the GN is higher.
11-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
I was just reading a thread over on dpreview, and it looks like they also removed auto mode from the new version of the flash? Is that true too? If that is really true, that's another strike against the new model. Wow.
Can that be confirmed? If that is not the case, can it be confirmed that AF assist does or does not work in auto-mode (for V1, auto-mode cancels af-assist ).
11-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Can that be confirmed? If that is not the case, can it be confirmed that AF assist does or does not work in auto-mode (for V1, auto-mode cancels af-assist ).
These are the modes listed in the manual TOC.

In other parts of the manual PTTL(AUTO) is listed, so assume that now PTTL is considered the only AUTO mode.
The AF assist light turns on when needed in PTTL or M, or without flash in Spot Beam mode.

The manual is available at this link if you would like to peruse it. http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/download_manual.html
Attached Images

Last edited by crewl1; 11-25-2013 at 10:09 AM.
11-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply and the link.

11-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bauldrick Quote
Oh no!!!
They removed the sync port. So how are the strobists out there feeling??
Myself--well that puts me in a pickle as I am starting to get freelance jobs that require external flash units to do pro level lighting setups and removing the sync ports mean I won't be able to use any Pocket Wizards to remotely trigger the flash units. Is that why when they went to test the new k3 "in studio" they didn't bother to even try...

bauldrick...
Hi there - I'm new to Pentax and to flash photography and am trying to figure out which flash to buy to complement my K-3 and my husband's K-30. I apologize for asking such a dumb question, but could you please tell me what the practical implications are of not having a sync port on the flash? (In tech-challenged layman's terms, does that mean you can't do something at all, or does it just mean you have to buy another doo-hickey to do what you want to do with the flash?

Thanks
11-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Hi there - I'm new to Pentax and to flash photography and am trying to figure out which flash to buy to complement my K-3 and my husband's K-30. I apologize for asking such a dumb question, but could you please tell me what the practical implications are of not having a sync port on the flash? (In tech-challenged layman's terms, does that mean you can't do something at all, or does it just mean you have to buy another doo-hickey to do what you want to do with the flash?

Thanks
You have to buy another doo-hickey if you need this capability. The device is basically a hot shoe with a port on the side.

The sync port allows you to use a cable to attach the flash to another device that does not have it's own shoe mount.

Some popular wireless units , namely Pocket Wizards, only attach this way - but there are many that have their own hot shoe.

Some photographers like to use a cable to position their flash on a bracket so it elevates it from the camera, so they would like to have this port.

FYI the K-30 does not have a sync port, only the K-3 would be able to leverage this function as it does have a sync port.

You probably wont miss it unless you have a very specific use case, and there are ways around it.
11-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
You have to buy another doo-hickey if you need this capability. The device is basically a hot shoe with a port on the side.

The sync port allows you to use a cable to attach the flash to another device that does not have it's own shoe mount.

Some popular wireless units , namely Pocket Wizards, only attach this way - but there are many that have their own hot shoe.

Some photographers like to use a cable to position their flash on a bracket so it elevates it from the camera, so they would like to have this port.

FYI the K-30 does not have a sync port, only the K-3 would be able to leverage this function as it does have a sync port.

You probably wont miss it unless you have a very specific use case, and there are ways around it.
Thanks for the quick (and helpful ... and friendly) reply!
11-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is too bad there is no port. That means that in addition to the cost of the flash, one needs to pay for a hot shoe adapter.

I don't necessarily need a potato masher, but one of the things I like best about the AF400T is the external high voltage power supply. Put 510v to that unit, and the recycle time drops down almost to studio strobe range. I can't understand why that feature has disappeared from Pentax high end flashes. I still use that flash sometimes for that reason, alone.

The smaller size is a mixed blessing. With a taller flash, you could mount a Graslon Prodigy (and other accessories) even when the flash is on the camera hot shoe, though just barely. I doubt that will be possible with the shorter flash. I wonder what effect it will have to move the light even closer to the lens.

The faster part and the battery compartment sound good, though.