Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
I have V1 and despise the battery door, the V2 has a battery door like the sunpak 383 had which is much better

11-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, thank you for the comparison. It being WR is excellent, seems really geared towards outdoors action.
Wonder how it would survive the shoot of a drunken 40th birthday party...with jaeger and sticky, full head, craft beer.
11-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm With some people here in that I think WR and smaller size is worth it.

This just might be my only Pentax purchase for a year. As I love Shooting with flashes.
11-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No AC? Does that mean you can't use the external battery pack?

11-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
No AC? Does that mean you can't use the external battery pack?
That is correct, there is no facility for external power.

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
I'm With some people here in that I think WR and smaller size is worth it. This just might be my only Pentax purchase for a year. As I love Shooting with flashes.
Great, let us know of any features that I missed and report back on the WR effectiveness please if you have a chance to test it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Yes, thank you for the comparison. It being WR is excellent, seems really geared towards outdoors action. Wonder how it would survive the shoot of a drunken 40th birthday party...with jaeger and sticky, full head, craft beer
Please let us know.

QuoteOriginally posted by alcstudios Quote
I have V1 and despise the battery door, the V2 has a battery door like the sunpak 383 had which is much better
Yes this is one of the nice improvements. I don't know how the engineers got away with that last design, I would expect better from Pentax.
11-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
That is correct, there is no facility for external power.
That is really unfortunate. I recently started shooting more events and needed to shoot continously for 400+ shots. I wonder why they took it away. Is the new flash so efficient that it doesn't need a battery pack?
11-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That is really unfortunate. I recently started shooting more events and needed to shoot continously for 400+ shots. I wonder why they took it away. Is the new flash so efficient that it doesn't need a battery pack?
Here are the rated number of flashes per battery type.

Attached Images

11-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for posting this information, but my ability to understand these numbers is lacking...
I currently own a Sigma 610 Super as my primary flash. From the sigma website, it appears the Sigma 610 Super is more powerful, but that's not an apple to apple comparison since the dispersion pattern may be different.
Generally the Sigma re-cycle time has been a little slow unless I'm shooting 1/8 with fresh batteries.
The Pentax does seem to be more efficient, 250 vs 160, for Ni-MH batteries.
Strange that they removed the catchlight panel also. Are they using the LED video light to simulate the catchlight panel?

Does anyone know if the battery power pack will help with the recycle times? or just extend the number of flashes?

11-07-2013, 04:10 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Does anyone know if the battery power pack will help with the recycle times? or just extend the number of flashes?
Generally, external power packs are meant to do both.
11-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #25
Pentaxian

What impressed me when I tested for a few minutes at a photo show in town is the smaller size and the much faster operation, charge, etc. It's a faster flash.
11-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Generally, external power packs are meant to do both.
I have the JJC china-ebay power pack for my 540FGZ and I can shoot two pops per second on 1/4 power indefinitely, with the camera on hi-drive.
Once I took 750 shots on a mix of 1/4 and 1/2 power and the batteries were still half full.

They work. It's great to be able to do "double (or triple) tapping" at events without fear of flash depletion.

Regards,
--Anders.
11-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
I have the JJC china-ebay power pack for my 540FGZ and I can shoot two pops per second on 1/4 power indefinitely, with the camera on hi-drive.
Once I took 750 shots on a mix of 1/4 and 1/2 power and the batteries were still half full.

They work. It's great to be able to do "double (or triple) tapping" at events without fear of flash depletion.

Regards,
--Anders.
Just gotta be careful the thing doesn't catch fire!
11-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry about hijacking the thread.
Thank you for everyone who commented.
11-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Thanks for the review. I had said previously that anyone considering buying this updated flash must really need either the WR or the LED video light to justify such a high cost. That was before I heard that they removed AC, PC, and catchlight panel.

Maybe the smaller size will be a big benefit to some. It just seems to me that these new units are way overpriced.
11-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #30

540 FGZ II if it had built in radio flash like the Canon (they're priced the same where I am) then I would be impressed.
As it is Metz are probably better bang per buck