Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tech-challenged photographer seeks flash

Hi everyone - I recently switched over to Pentax and I'm planning to buy a flash unit to work my camera (K-3) and my husband's camera (K-30). I'm relatively new to photography and of the projects on my to-do list is to get better at using supplementary lighting (including flash) effectively. I've had some basic lessons focusing on on-camera flash, and I'm taking two courses in the next couple of months that will focus on some more advanced techniques with on- and off-camera flash (e.g., studio lighting). To date, my photography interests have been mostly about people (portraits and street photography), animals (mostly pet photography but also wildlife) and a bit of macro - not so interested in landscape, architecture, food, etc.

I've had a look at the materials in this forum on Pentax and 3rd-party flash units but I'm still uncertain as to what I should buy. I know that I want a flash unit that tilts and swivels and that can be used off-camera. Weather-resistance is a nice-to-have but not essential. I'm not even sure what other features I want, except that I want the flexibility to experiment with lighting arrangements. (And I know I should go read up on the subject on Strobist ...)

The other factor I would like to keep in mind is that I'm not naturally adept at picking up new technologies, and I'm definitely not the kind of person who is willing (or particularly adept at) figuring out work-arounds to resolve tech problems. (My husband is significantly better at this but is less into photography than I am.) So, all else being equal, if one flash system requires more work-arounds to maximize my options than another, I'd prefer the easier-to-use system.

In terms of price range, I would be willing to pay about what the launch price of the Pentax AF360FGZ II costs (the 540 II is a bit rich for our budget) if it's worth the price. And there is room in the budget to buy a few flash accessories as needed.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

11-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
(And I know I should go read up on the subject on Strobist ...)
Yep.

If you want a simple, (I don't want to think about it) on camera flash system then get the Pentax flash or a Metz equivalent, which might be a little cheaper.

But if you are doing off camera creative flash then there are far cheaper solutions. In general off camera flash will be all manual. So you will have to learn a bit about exposure and do some practice and trial and error. You will need a radio trigger system and some flashguns, there are many different companies making solutions. I use Cactus v5 triggers, but there are many others. Since it is all manual, the actual flash gun can be just about anything, lots of folks like the Yongnuo ones. I have three old Pentax AF200Ts and a Nikon SB-26, all of them together plus the triggers cost way less than the new Pentax flash.

I use almost 100% off camera flash with a variety of flash guns and studio strobes. It all depends on what you want to achieve. If you are setting up for portraits in a studio setting then strobes with softboxes or beauty dishes are good. If you are going to be more mobile then flash guns on an umbrella reflector stand might be better. Lighting is a gadget lovers dream, there are so many different bits of kit it is mind boggling.

In any case you should look at:
  • How am I going to trigger the flash? wireless triggers, optical triggers, P-TTL cable?
  • How are you going to direct the light? umbrella, soft box, reflector, grids?
  • How are you going to power the lights? A/C voltage or batteries?
  • Do you want to use small flash guns (strobist style) or studio strobes?
  • What budget do you have?
11-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good to see the Pentax flagship goes to the woman of the house (points there).

What I would recommend is go and get yourself a cheap collapsible reflector.
Then, sit at your kitchen table, and put something that is round and has good reflectivity to it, and maybe some color, say a piece of fruit or a curio of some sort.

Use the K3 flash and try everything out and all the settings you can.
Move the reflector around your subject as you also move the camera around.

When you start to see how a flash interacts with the available light and the subject, and you start to get an idea of what you want to do with flash, then we should talk about what upgraded flash to buy.

Until you feel comfortable as a strobist, it's hard to recommend gear.
11-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I just bought 2 Yongnuo YN560III and RF603N triggers from them too. The flah units have built in receivers so I can trigger them wirelessly with just a transeiver on the camera and the flashes where I want them. The extra transeiver (sold in pairs) I attached to a manual older cheaper flash. U$70 for each flash unit and U$30 for the pair of transeivers. BUT these are fully manual flashes... Built quality is good and recycle time is beyond expectation

11-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

+1 for cactus v5 triggers - perfectly reliable and very nice battery life! I recommend also Sekonic flash meter L308S.--manntax
11-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone, for your helpful replies so far.
11-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Weather-resistance is a nice-to-have but not essential.
Good thing because it'd be really expensive if you wanted that :-)

It really depends on how far you're going with it and how willing you are to learn.
If you want to shoot events, it's probably easiest to get a Pentax p-TTL compatible flash but it'll be the most expensive...the flash will sense your focal length and adjust itself appropriately.

If you really want to learn, go manual w/ a few off-cam flashes and triggers. What I ended up doing was getting the Radiopopper JrX triggers and a few old Nikon SB28 flashes for the same cost as a Pentax TTL flash. The JrX gives you remote manual power control (I have a spare unused tx/rx set if you're interested) so it'll be easier than running back and forth. I use the A (autothyristor) mode when doing events but have to compensate when the lens' zoom changes. But I learned a lot and the JrX can also remote control AB/WL studio strobes that I have.

11-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I agree with the advice you got so far. One thing is missing in this thread. You could consider a Sigma 610 Super flash. They are powerful, fully automatic while still including manual controls, in short they are similar, spec-wise, to the AF-540 1 from Pentax. However, they can often be bought for about 200$, new. Build quality is not quite as nice, but they work and mine never broke in the two years I had it (mine was the ST version, not the super, and I replaced it with a used AF-540).

If you want to balance budget and features, it's the best choice, probably.