Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K-30 + Metz 52 in remote mode without built-in flash ?

Is it possible to configure Pentax K-30 and Metz 52 AF-1 to work in off camera remote mode without built-in pentax flash ? I need single source of light.

Pentax K-30 "Flash in Wireless mode" menu option is set to "Fires built-in flash as controller in wireless mode" and Metz is configured as "remove slave" but I still clearly see my built-in flash on my photos.

It seems I would be happier with some cheaper flash which would be fired through cable or radio controller (P-TTL is really not priority for me).

What do you think ?

11-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This work great
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/128986-cactus...er-review.html
01-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Forum Member

No wireless

I have Metz 52, wireless does not work on K-r and i belive wireless does not work on any pentax, this brand should be sued since is promessing somethong that does not work, I bought this crap to use it off-shoe and without the need of radio triggers. but this won't happen i need radio, besides there is no 3mm jack to connect a PC cable. Better buy a cheap Yongnuo, aslo ttl and pttl are wierd. Manual mode is the only that works fine cuz is mostly auto, it reads ISO and aperture from camera so only need to change power and it shows distance.
01-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eder Quote
I have Metz 52, wireless does not work on K-r and I believe wireless does not work on any pentax, this brand should be sued since is promising something that does not work,
I have recently purchased a Metz 52 and I also have a Pentax AF360-FGZ and both flashes work wirelessly on my K10D. Either way works fine - AF360 as master on camera and Metz 52 as slave or Metz 52 as master on camera and AF360 as slave. I had to read the manuals a couple of times to make sure I had each flash set up correctly and it all worked exactly as the manuals stated.

I suggest that you recheck your set up.

01-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by martinos Quote
I would be happier with some cheaper flash which would be fired through cable or radio controller
In terms of exposure, the light from the built-in flash is negligible when set to be the controller. If you absolutely can't have any light coming from the built in flash, you need a hot shoe mounted trigger, regardless of how cheap or expensive your external flash is. Then if your external flash doesn't have a receptacle for a cable or a compatible built in radio reciever, you need a separate receiver with a hot shoe that you can mount the external flash on. Cheaper flashes aren't more likely to have the receiver built in, so getting what you want (remote firing of the external flash without using the built in flash) will cost you the same, no matter if your flash is cheaper than the Metz or not.
01-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I suggest that you recheck your set up.
Eder's built-in flash is broken; see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/116-pentax-k-r/161638-kr-wireless-wont-fl...ml#post2642962
01-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Ah, yes. I see!

01-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
Forum Member

Thanks for the help

Since i read lots of bad comments and many problems with wireless on this forum with metz 52 i thoght that wouldnt work, i havent tried with that set up because flash manual doesnt help a lot only says basic things not a step by step set up. I skiped to sync channels while flash is over hot shoe, i did it without doing that.

The 2nd question is my erratic built in flash, so maybe it wont work anyway. At least now i know there is hope and that is my gear and not the flash.

Thanks a lot to everyone for sharing. Anyway i will try again, cuz maybe could be that only the light is broken but not that wireless pulse, so i still have a hope like 1% possibility of success jejeje