Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Pentax K20D - Panagor 90mm 1:1 - Dual flash rig ( as pictured )

All images were hand held , as I find the tripod too cumbersome ...

12-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Flash rig no3 :

C bracket : $7USD
Swivel Bracket : $8
Flash : $12USD
Hot Shoe ( cable ) : $4.40

Total : $31.40

This price can be brought down , with cheaper swivel brackets ...
I have some on the way ...

I havent taken any worth while pictures with this 3rd flash rig as yet , its seriously hot outside and windy ATM > so Im cowering behind air-conditioning .
5 minutes outside and Im sweating buckets , should be 10Deg C cooler tomorrow (?) I hope ...
02-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #18

Hello,
It looks very well build. Do you want to sale your Macro Flash ?. I would like to buy one and try it out.
Please send me a PM.
Thanks,
steve
02-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #19
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting this - gives lots of ideas on how to build a rig. Lots of cheap flashes around, including many Pentax ones that come along with old cameras for sale on the auction sites.
You still seem to have a few hot spots on some of the images, so maybe adding hood diffusers (easily less that 10 each) would do the trick to broaden the light further?

03-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Thanks for posting this - gives lots of ideas on how to build a rig. Lots of cheap flashes around, including many Pentax ones that come along with old cameras for sale on the auction sites.
You still seem to have a few hot spots on some of the images, so maybe adding hood diffusers (easily less that 10 each) would do the trick to broaden the light further?
Diffusing helps a lot , I have played with many different ways of doing it , just need to find what works for you , the lens and camera .. ( and the flash )

---------- Post added 03-06-14 at 04:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewong Quote
Hello,
It looks very well build. Do you want to sale your Macro Flash ?. I would like to buy one and try it out.
Please send me a PM.
Thanks,
steve
Steve - All the parts are on Ebay , and would be far cheaper for you to assemble yourself ...
If you need , I can put together a linked ( ebay ) list of parts ...
03-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
Diffusing helps a lot , I have played with many different ways of doing it , just need to find what works for you , the lens and camera .. ( and the flash )

---------- Post added 03-06-14 at 04:24 PM ----------

Steve - All the parts are on Ebay , and would be far cheaper for you to assemble yourself ...
If you need , I can put together a linked ( ebay ) list of parts ...
Thanks very much.If you can post the Ebay Link where to buy all the items, I think I will try how to put them together.
Have a good Day.
steve
03-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ebay Parts list-link

C-bracket $7
Ball head mount for flash $4
Hot shoe adapter $4.58
Cable for flash $1
BY18 flash ( High VOltage hot shoe )
Mine seems to work fine VIA Cable on my K10D
CY20 low voltage hot shoe flash
The CY20 can be used safely on the camera as it should be low voltage trigger ( Camera hot shoe ) Works cable and remote just fine ...

Plenty more parts out there : This is the short list to get you started :
O flash bracket if you dont like the C bracket

03-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #23

Ebay Parts list-link

C-bracket $7
Ball head mount for flash $4
Hot shoe adapter $4.58
Cable for flash $1
BY18 flash ( High VOltage hot shoe )
Mine seems to work fine VIA Cable on my K10D
CY20 low voltage hot shoe flash
The CY20 can be used safely on the camera as it should be low voltage trigger ( Camera hot shoe ) Works cable and remote just fine ...

Plenty more parts out there : This is the short list to get you started :
O flash bracket if you dont like the C bracket
Thanks Old4570,
Will all Parts are for one Macro light.
steve
03-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewong Quote
Thanks Old4570,
Will all Parts are for one Macro light.
steve
Just chose the C mount or O mount .. Which ever you prefer , and the flash .. Just be aware that the BY18 has a high voltage hot shoe , so might only be good VIA cable rather than directly mounting to camera ( if you ever wanted to ) .. I have been using the BY18 with cable for a long time now , just be aware it might be a problem if you ever tried it directly on the Camera
03-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Just chose the C mount or O mount .. Which ever you prefer , and the flash .. Just be aware that the BY18 has a high voltage hot shoe , so might only be good VIA cable rather than directly mounting to camera ( if you ever wanted to ) .. I have been using the BY18 with cable for a long time now , just be aware it might be a problem if you ever tried it directly on the Camera
There is no difference between using a cable and mounting it directly on the camera, there is just some more wire in between the connections, the voltage at the camera is still high.
06-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #26

Pentax K10D - Promaster 100mm - My flash rig

1) remote trigger $8 , placed on rig so as not to lose it
2) Cold shoe mount - came of swivel ball mount - swapped out from the O flash bracket
3) O flash bracket ( $12 )
4) Swivel ball flash mount $8
5) cold shoe mount from O flash bracket
6) Cheap nasty flash $12 ( this one has a high voltage hot shoe - cable trigger ? )
7) Cable $1 2.5mm connection to 2.5mm connection

This is my 2nd such flash rig , the first is now a dual flash set up ...
I have parts on order for a 3rd set up , the goal is to go as cheap as possible , for a cost effective flash solution for Macro .. This one is worth $41USD in parts so far ..

I set myself a goal , of building the cheapest workable flash solution for Macro photography ...
The flash rig needed to be able to be moved from one camera to another , be tune-able for different lenses , be reasonably durable , functional , and work ...
I have parts on order for a even cheaper version , under $30USD ....
Im sharing this as I thought I was lagging , I will update when the parts arrive for Rig 3 .
Thank you very much for posting your setup in this thread, old4570. I have been doing a lot of reading and research on a good macro setup, and frankly I've been getting a bit bamboozled by all of it.

I found your thread, and can see the utility and flexibility of it. I have ordered all the parts off eBay today, and in a week (or maybe five - the stuff is coming from China!) I should be good to go!

Thanks again!
06-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Now this is the best piece of DIY photo gear I've seen in awhile. Kudos!
06-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Imagination rules !
There are enough add on parts out there to build a dozen different variations , or to customize to your needs ..
This is the budget version , I sort off balked at paying $1000 for a macro flash rig .