Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
Inactive Account

YongNuo for Brand X on Pentax?

I just want to make sure before I buy anything so I don't break my camera.

If I buy a YongNuo for Canon that supports TTL, can I use it on my Pentax (the flash becomes fully manual) as well as on my Canon (the flash supports TTL) without breaking anything? Is the "for Canon" there just to point out that the TTL support is only for Canons, or is there some difference in the electronics so that a YongNuo for Canon will short out Pentax or something? The branding is just about the TTL/manual, right?

11-18-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tripodquest Quote
The branding is just about the TTL/manual, right?
You are correct

The older flashes (think film era) would be cause for concern because of the voltage differences. But these (I assume the YN-565?) should be no issue at all to use as full TTL on Canon and only manual on Pentax (or off-camera strobes).

-Heie
11-18-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
You are correct

The older flashes (think film era) would be cause for concern because of the voltage differences. But these (I assume the YN-565?) should be no issue at all to use as full TTL on Canon and only manual on Pentax (or off-camera strobes).

-Heie
Okay, thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to know. I'm not going to use film era flashes, I wouldn't dare... Electronics nowadays are so much more sensitive and so much smaller and require more exact voltages anyway even if they matched, I wouldn't dare try. And yes, YN 465/467/468/565 I just have to figure out which model best fits my needs
11-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Do you also have a Canon that they will work in TTL mode with? If not, there is really no point in going for one.

11-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Do you also have a Canon that they will work in TTL mode with? If not, there is really no point in going for one.
yes at least I think so? the YN model I'm looking at says it supports "nikon and canon" and it also had a list of models at the end of the specs and my canon was there. If I can trust that then it will work with my Canon, but I don't know if the specs are always true? it claimed to support TTL up to 1/8000, that's why I thought it's worth the extra money, but again that's just black on white, I'd have to test it to see if all the claims are really true

Last edited by tripodquest; 11-18-2013 at 06:34 AM.