Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2008, 06:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Metz 58 AF-1 user experience. Anyone got one?

I'm in need of a reliable flash and a little concerned about the AF540 and some of the reported problems others have had.

So I'm considering the Metz 58. On paper the unit seems to have all the features of the 540. Anything it lacks? Anything it does better? Hows the wireless with a K10D or K20D? I also have an AF 360 FGZ and hope they will work together for off camera setups.

I also noticed the outboard power supply costs a fortune ($500 + the cord $45.00 at B&H). So how is it for power consumption? I wonder if the head is a similar size to the 540 since I have a GF Lightsphere already.

Any other thoughts on the flash would be appreciated.

04-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just sent payment for mine. Will report when it gets here. In the meanwhile I can tell that it lacks Pentax cable plug and I'm not sure it can act as a simple light triggered slave - manual doesn't mention no such mode. I know I could fire off AF360FGZ with a DS built in flash and I bet AF540FGZ can do the same. However Mecablitz 58 AF-1 can do wireless P-TTL just like Pentax flashes.
Like I said, will report when I get mine.