Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2013, 03:36 AM   #1

Sigma wireless flash doesn't - help!

I'm trying to use my Sigma EF530DG Super flash wirelessly, off camera, with my K20D and K5. Basically, the flash doesn't fire.

I'm fairly confident I have the simple stuff right - both the flash and camera are in wireless mode. Both are using CH1 which seems to be the default - although I have gone through the process of programming the flash on-camera as I know is required.

The flash will fire off-camera in simple slave mode - but of course it fires on the preflash so I don't get an exposure!

A couple of clues.. I know my camera uses CH1, as it displays this on turn-on. But if I set the flash manually to CH2 then attach it to the camera to program it, the programming doesn't change the flash to CH1. So something is up there.

Second, the flash display constantly has a "P" where the group number should be. I know that group number is used in Nikon wireless but it doesn't seem to be a Pentax option. Is this where the problem lies?

Problem is identical for K20D and K5, and all other on-camera flash modes work faultlessly, so I don't think I have a hardware problem. And all firmware is fairly recent.

Thanks for any help!

11-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your may be in luck. I have the same cameras and flash. I never had problems with the K20 but there is an issue with the K5 and flash operation, including wireless mode. It will sync but the level may be wrong based on the scene. Anyway, I just setup my K5ii (don't have the k20 now) in manual/F5.6/180sec/ISO100. Took a shot with the flash mounted and in default P-TTL mode. Took the flash off and set to wireless P-TTL (see attached photo). Popped up the flash on the K5ii and set flash mode to wireless and in setting, the internal is set for control, not master. Took the shot and it worked, although light level was low. As for the channel, I use channel 1. There's a weird thing with flash setup. The aperture and ISO are transferred from the camera to the flash but the channel number is transferred from the flash to the camera. After using the manual setting, I also just switched the camera to P mode and the wireless flash worked as well - light level good, maybe a little overexposed.

Search for the K5 flash issues. Getting the light level consistent is a problem.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 
11-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Here are some posts related to flash issues:

Originally posted by Deedee Quote
Hi,

Issues related to Flash and TTL discussed here:

&

&

and a possible work around / solution as I haven't tried here:

or here:

Cheers!

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/234630-k-5-upgrade-k-5-ii...#ixzz2lUyL5Vp2
11-24-2013, 02:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
Your may be in luck. I have the same cameras and flash. I never had problems with the K20 but there is an issue with the K5 and flash operation, including wireless mode. It will sync but the level may be wrong based on the scene. Anyway, I just setup my K5ii (don't have the k20 now) in manual/F5.6/180sec/ISO100. Took a shot with the flash mounted and in default P-TTL mode. Took the flash off and set to wireless P-TTL (see attached photo). Popped up the flash on the K5ii and set flash mode to wireless and in setting, the internal is set for control, not master. Took the shot and it worked, although light level was low. As for the channel, I use channel 1. There's a weird thing with flash setup. The aperture and ISO are transferred from the camera to the flash but the channel number is transferred from the flash to the camera. After using the manual setting, I also just switched the camera to P mode and the wireless flash worked as well - light level good, maybe a little overexposed.

Search for the K5 flash issues. Getting the light level consistent is a problem.
OK, I tried this - thanks - it did at least fire the flash in sync although the shot was about 3 stops underexposed, even in P mode, but I could get a decent exposure by increasing the ISO to 800. Using K5, not tried the K20D yet.

Last night I was doing some on-camera shooting with this flash and my K20D and all the shots were underexposed, switched to the K5 and they were all fine on the same settings. So there may be an issue with the TTL level communication. In the long run buying a Pentax flash, at twice the price, may be one fix (ugh).

Not had time to read all the links yet, will plough through those this evening!

11-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have both the Pentax and the Sigma and they both have problems on the K5 - its a k7/k5 problem apparently. The only consistent results I could get was with the Pentax flash Auto mode - i.e. the flash is doing all the work. Strange that the Sigma doesn't have auto mode Good luck.
11-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #6

Original Poster
Well I spent 2 hours last night trying to get decent results and I couldn't even get proper sync, it kept firing on the preflash, so no exposure. The one off-camera mode that works fairly reliably is using a sync cable. This gives a good result when the flash is in TTL mode and the camera is in any mode - oddly even full manual! So I guess the flash is doing the exposure calculations. The problem is that there are so many combinations of trigger, camera mode, flash mode etc that you really don't know what's been designed to work with what. (If anything. I'm having a wish-I-had brought-a-nikon-30-years-ago moment, do I get booted for that?).

So I'm baling out of this, and have ordered one of the low-cost wireless triggers off ebay. This should, at least, ensure that I don't get preflash trigger problems (I hope!) and I can adjust the exposure through the aperture and film speed.
11-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Lol. Sorry for laughing but I know just how you feel. I've pretty much decided that I'll only use the flash in manual off-camera with a radio trigger too. Otherwise I'll just count on the good low light performance of the K5ii. Kind-of wish I never bought all my flash stuff