Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #1

Recommend a reasonably priced light meter

Howdy people.

I've decided to add a light meter to my photographic arsenal.
At the moment I'm eyeballing the Sekonic L-308S as its not too expensive and the reviews are pretty good.

Or are there other models out there in the same price range that I should consider?

11-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a good choice, but what will you need it for?
11-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the L-308S and it's lightweight and very good. I like it because it can do both incident and reflected light. It's good too with flash. I use it with my Pentax 6x7 and sometimes in the studio.
11-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the Gossen Luna Pro F. It is an analog model that provides incident, reflective and flash readings. It is nice because it uses a plain 'ol 9V battery and has a big easy to read dial. I think the SBC models also use a 9V battery.

Last edited by Moe49; 11-27-2013 at 12:53 PM.
11-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Looks like a good choice, but what will you need it for?
For digital its not really needed, but I like to muck around with some old film cameras as well.
11-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know this is boring because you probably love to buy gear but you can use your digital camera to find the exposure and then set your film camera accordingly. I've done this with good results.

Also, there is an iPhone attachment that looks pretty cool that will turn it into an incident light meter - Luxi Light Meter Adapter for iPhone 5/5s Review - photo.net
11-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
I know this is boring because you probably love to buy gear but you can use your digital camera to find the exposure and then set your film camera accordingly. I've done this with good results.

Also, there is an iPhone attachment that looks pretty cool that will turn it into an incident light meter - Luxi Light Meter Adapter for iPhone 5/5s Review - photo.net
Yep, i know that. Also have a phone app that works reasonably well as a reflective light meter.
Still, its not the same

11-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sekonic studio selenium cell light meters (principally for incident light) are accurate, reliable, and pleasure to handle/use. No batteries--but not for very low light and not flash. Also cheap to get (used)--but my preference is not related to price: is based on 5+ decades years experience.

I had the L28C (stolen) and now the L398--preferred the L28C for looks/and slightly easier to set/read--but this is a much older model--functionally the same, except as I recall, slightly different calibration constant (as I recall). I preferred the L28C for looks/and slightly easier to set/read.
11-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As you are interested in incident meter--I suggest reading following vis-a-vis the older meters/pictures of same/etc. YESTERDAY'S METERS by JD esq