Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2013, 05:00 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
YongNuo Wireless Flash Triggers for Pentax K-r

Dear friends of the forum,
I read some articles posted on the use of triggers flash by radio waves. Unfortunately my doubts remain as it was unable to clearly define what the best alternatica for my specific case. Need help from anyone who has the same equipment and have found the perfect solution.
I have a Pentax K-r machine and intend to use two or more YongNuo Flashes with triggers of the same brand. I read about the YN 560 II Flashes and Triggers without RF Wireless 602 and 603 N. I do not know which is best for the Pentax K-r. Another question is about the trigger of the machine. The K-r does not have a plug for the connection cable. I need to buy a shoe for the wireless triggering distance.

Do not know if that understand my doubts, but I would like your help. IF you need to explain more I can try. I'm from Brazil and do not write well in English, sorry.
I await contact. Thank you,
Paolillo

11-25-2013, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paolillo Quote
The K-r does not have a plug for the connection cable. I need to buy a shoe for the wireless triggering distance.
Most transmitters fit in the hotshoe of the camera. So no need for additional equipment there.

'm from Brazil and do not write well in English, sorry.
Your English is better than the english on the European Yongnuo site
11-26-2013, 03:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
Dear sterretje,
I appreciate your words, but I was referring to the additional cables are often supplied or available separately to extend the functions of the triggers so you can control the camera remotely or heads of studio flash trigger. Canon and Nikon have cameraras fittings in the body of the machine for this purpose, which does not have the Kr There are shoes sold separately to fulfill this function. My question is which shoe to use one of the triggers without wire. I am needing to choose between two models: Yongnuo RF 603 RF 603 N or C1. There are many opinions and controversies regarding this issue that any lay person is in doubt.
I do not know if I was clear.
Many thanks for trying to help me.
Paolillo
11-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

so you can control the camera remotely
There are shoes sold separately to fulfill this function.
To my knowledge there is no way to trigger your K-r remotely that way. You need to use the IR for that. You might be able to modify an existing IR remote so it can be connected to the trigger; maybe a product like that even exists. That modified remote can be placed near the IR receiver of your K-r.

With regards to which one? I don't know; have you seen Yongnuo RF-603 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database ? I know you have your reasons to stick with Yongnuo but reading the above link I doubt I would buy them.

12-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I apologize for coming into the thread late - I am going to post a review of the RF603N in the database once I get some more testing done. The RF603N (for Nikon) definitely DOES work with Pentax cameras - I've used it with the K-5 and K-01. I really wish DocRWM would amend his review - I think he tried the RF603C (Canon) version, which does not work. He doesn't appear to be active on the forum any more.

The RF603N is very basic - just manual sync, no P-TTL, no shutter speeds higher than 1/160-1/180. As sterretje says, because the K-r does not have a jack for triggering the camera using a wired remote, you would have to have a cable with an IR remote to trigger the camera. I think I've seen a thread on how to do that in the DIY section of the forum.
03-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #6

Hello all! I have a K-r and wanting to purchase the YongNuo YN 560 ii speedlight to start practicing working with light. I'm also going to purchase a light stand, umbrella and a bracket to hold them. What I'm confused is what else I need to get going as far as the wireless remote etc. I don't know what one to get and is there anything else I'll need? Help would be much appreciated!
03-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Instead of the Yongnuo YN560-II, I would get the Yongnuo YN560-III.

The latter has built-in radio triggers which means that you don't have to carry radio triggers around, mount them, and make sure that their batteries still work.

Best of all, however, they allow the power of the flash to be remote controlled through the trigger that sits on your camera. The respective Yongnuo trigger has not been released yet (it was announced for the end of 2013) but I think it is pretty certain that it will appear soon.

As an alternative, if I were you, I'd also consider the Cactus RF60 flash. It also has a built-in radio receiver but many more features than the Yongnuo YN560-III (see the comparison in my RF60 review).

The Cactus V6 trigger will allow remote controlling the power of the RF60 and will definitely be released shortly. Its beta testing phase is nearing completion. Definitely have a look at this one. It is quite amazing.
03-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Instead of the Yongnuo YN560-II, I would get the Yongnuo YN560-III.

The latter has built-in radio triggers which means that you don't have to carry radio triggers around, mount them, and make sure that their batteries still work.

Best of all, however, they allow the power of the flash to be remote controlled through the trigger that sits on your camera. The respective Yongnuo trigger has not been released yet (it was announced for the end of 2013) but I think it is pretty certain that it will appear soon.

As an alternative, if I were you, I'd also consider the Cactus RF60 flash. It also has a built-in radio receiver but many more features than the Yongnuo YN560-III (see the comparison in my RF60 review).

The Cactus V6 trigger will allow remote controlling the power of the RF60 and will definitely be released shortly. Its beta testing phase is nearing completion. Definitely have a look at this one. It is quite amazing.
Thank you for your reply! I am trying to stay in a budget As to why I picked the yn-560 ii as I have other things to purchase. I am still confused on what trigger to buy.

03-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Although I'm not using triggers, the RF603N (N stands for Nikon) should do the trick to my knowledge; you will need two (one on camera as transmitter, one at the flash as receiver).

Advantage of buying the YN560/III is (as mentioned) that it has a built-in receiver so you only have to buy one additional RF603N. Advantage of buying two RF603N units is that you can use any flash so if you ever opt for another make / model flash, the setup will still work.
03-08-2014, 05:34 AM   #10

Original Poster
I appreciate the attention of all those who contributed to clarify this issue. Unfortunately right now waiting to decide for sure which option is best for my case.
Regards,
Paolillo