Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

Flash recommendation for K-30

Hey fellas,

I'm new to flash photography. I have a K-30, and now I use an old Metz 32CT3 on camera. I'd like to use a newer and better one, though this flash head can tilt and swivel.

So basically, I am considering two solutions (with a tight budget on it)

a) Yongnuo 560 III + a 602 or 603 transmitter
b) Metz 44 AF-1 (and the necessary transmitter+receiver)

what would you suggest? Primary goals are to use the flash off-camera, and portrait photography. I am open to other solutions.

Cheers

Szabolcs

11-27-2013, 03:55 AM   #2

Hi szmatefy

I bought the Yongnuo 460 II for the same usage you are looking for. So far it worked well although something seems to be loose inside...
The 560 III is on my wishlist too. Yongnuo is going to produce a remote control unit for the in-built receiver so you can change the power level remotely. But there is no date given for it.

A simple wireless trigger is not a must. The Yongnuos can automatically fire when you fire your on camera/integrated flash. If you dont want your integrated flash to affect the picture, just set it to -2 EV.
No experience with the Metz 44. I have a Metz 30BCT4 that I trigger remotely. It would fry my camera if used on camera...
11-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks,

I'm considering a Metzz 44AF-1 which is more expensive than a Yongnuo, but support p-TTL, and that might come handy. However, I've read good things about Yongnuo, but I was unable to find a radio transmitter compatible with Pentax...Yongnuo is about half price than the Metz...
11-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #4

While shopping for my K-30 I was faced with same question. Here is my experience.

I shoot outside under sun (bike racing) so was looking for high speed sync (and PTTL of course) as a requirement.
After carefully studying Feature Comparison - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison I narrowed down the list of choices to only those supporting HSS and wireless and reported to work with K-30 specifically (searching the forum helped identify these). Then I Googled those few models looking for deals. Thus came up used Metz 48AF-1 for $156.99 at amazon marketplace. I got it and after upgrading firmware to latest it works fine with my K-30 doing HSS while on hot-shoe and regular PTTL wireless workng off built-in pop-up flash.

Next step is make HSS work off-camera, so I'm shopping for a second flash that'd work as HSS master (so far used Pentax AF360FGZ - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison looks like only guaranteed choice to work) while on hot-shoe (popup flash does not support HSS at all).
Since optical wireless range is very limited under the sun I've ordered Aokatech radio triggers

11-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by szmatefy Quote
but I was unable to find a radio transmitter compatible with Pentax
Maybe this helps: Flash Accessories (Third-party) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
11-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the really deep case study. I do not plan to use the flash on sports event, but who knows?

Unfortunately the budget is tight. Atm I have the Metz 32ct3 so first step is to have a remote trigger to use it off camera...
11-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
For off-camera flash, you might also consider using a hotshoe to flash cable. There are a number of inexpensive options. If you need a longer cord, some members have cut the commercial cable, added CAT5 connectors and put a CAT5 network cable between.

If you want to wireless trigger a simple manual flash off-camera, consider the Seagull SYK-5 optical slave. It can be adjusted to ignore the P-TTL pre-flash from the built-in flash to trigger the mounted non-P-TTL flash. I've done this a number of times using a couple older flashes.

11-28-2013, 01:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have k5. With Metz 58 AF-2 can not trust pttl mode exposures at all. If other metz with pentax bodies same then i would look pentax brand flash for pttl use.

One thing i really also hate in my metz that it forgets some manually selected values when power off/on again. Like power is 1/1 for example. If u ask me, avoid new metz models.

Youngnuo 560 is nice, no pttl, no A-mode also. Very easy to use. Power same as my metz 58. Flash sync cable pc port!!! There is one minor thing, if not use few mins, flash leds are blinking and first flash will not have normal power, must on/off. Mine is first version, maybe newer versions not have this problem? That buildin trigger system in new versions sounds great, maybe someday i will get few of those.
11-28-2013, 03:18 AM   #9

Considering the tight budget: Go for the manual flashes. You learn more that way and therefore will improve your work faster. Adding further flash units will be cheaper too. Just trigger them optical and you will be fine.

There are some cheap optical triggers available for your old Metz, but they will trigger on the first flash they see (usually the measuring flash if you use inbuilt flash or TTL). Search for "optical flash trigger" on ebay for example. I have built my own trigger which will activate on first flash but waits for a certain delay until it fires the flash.
11-28-2013, 05:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
I have k5. With Metz 58 AF-2 can not trust pttl mode exposures at all. If other metz with pentax bodies same then i would look pentax brand flash for pttl use.
AF540 on a K5 is possibly just as bad.

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
One thing i really also hate in my metz that it forgets some manually selected values when power off/on again. Like power is 1/1 for example. If u ask me, avoid new metz models.
Shall we swap; AF540 for 58AF-2? Just joking. I will happily buy Metz flashes over Pentax ones; it's just that when I was in the market for a flash, Metz did not get back to my questions so I opted for the Pentax.
11-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
AF540 on a K5 is possibly just as bad.

Shall we swap; AF540 for 58AF-2? Just joking. I will happily buy Metz flashes over Pentax ones; it's just that when I was in the market for a flash, Metz did not get back to my questions so I opted for the Pentax.
Are u saying that ur AF540 is not good cos u prefer metz? If so pls tell little more about its problems and share what u not happy with it pls.

Anyway on film era I was using metz mz42 with pentax body and there was no problems that time about 20 years ago. Even pttl worked perfecly. So something has gone wrong since that...
11-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
So guys. If I buy a Yongnuo, I can use it only with the Yongnuo transmitter, and it doesn't support the 1/180 sync? OMG.

Anyway does it support 1/180 speed with a PC cable?
11-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Many cheap radiotriggers donotsupport even 1/180s sync speed. Personally i use cactus v5, 1/180s is ok. V5 do not communicate with other triggers so u need both transmitter and receiver so it means one extra receiver for every flash unit.

With pc cable even 1/500s should not be problem...but can not doths with any pentax costheyallhave 1/180s limit.
11-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #14

My Yongnuo will sync at 1/180s when triggered optically by the inbuilt flash or directly on camera. Should be similar with a PC cable, but the K-30 doesnt have a Port for this. But there are adapters for the hotshoe . Any transmitter/receiver combination that simply triggers the flash would also do. But i dont have experience with this so far.

However you could lend a flash from a friend to test whether all manual is enough or you need TTL, HSS...
11-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
consider the Seagull SYK-5 optical slave. It can be adjusted to ignore the P-TTL pre-flash from the built-in flash to trigger the mounted non-P-TTL flash. I've done this a number of times using a couple older flashes.
would that mean this slave can be used with HSS flash mounted on camera, to trigger a non HSS/pttl flash?