Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

Tabletop reflector setup?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a small tabletop reflector or umbrella setup? I'm thinking of something in the 6"-8" range and the mounting system wouldn't need to raise the reflector more than 12" or so in the air.

When I use my ringflash at a low angle the background is sometimes underlit and my idea is that a small flash bounced off of a reflector or umbrella could be used to bring up the light a bit. Thanks!

11-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Hmmm. There might be a ready-made commercial alternative, but in my mind the inexpensive solution is to super-glue a 1/4 X 20 nut to a frame made from a metal coat hanger, use clothes pins to attach the reflector (white foam board or foil?) and attach the frame to a table-top gorilla pod via the nut. You can aim the reflector however you choose.
11-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, like Jim says a bit of foam core from the craft shop plus a coat hanger and you are good to go. If you want it even brighter the craft shops also carry silver or gold metallic paper which with a bit of spray adhesive can be used to face one side of your foam core board.

I use blocks of wood with a slot sawn in them as holders for reflectors.
12-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't given the DIY approach much though but my wife works next door to a Hobby Lobby so getting the materials should be easy.

12-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PVC tubes and connectors are great for DIY projects like this. See for example: Thomas Even Photography Blog: "Tinker Tubes" - Instant Portrait Lighting

For small table top setups, you can get away with thinner PVC than shown in the link. I have a bunch of ~3/8" outer-diameter pipes cut into 1' pieces and a few 90 degree elbow and "T" connectors. They can be assembled into various shapes easily, and then have diffusion or reflective material clamped to them.

Depending on how far away your background is, a reflector might not end up brightening it as much as you'd like. So might also consider adding another flash if you don't have one already. Having separate flashes for the background and subject gives an easy way to adjust relative brightness levels. Just something to consider. Having a tabletop reflector/diffuser setup will of course never go to waste.