Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
How do I start?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello all.

One of my projects is to learn off-camera lighting techniques. I already have a 5in1 reflector set, but I want to expand to having an external (hotshoe-type) flash. I know that my camera (Pentax K-x) and my budget ($100) is limiting. I'm sort of jumping into this headfirst, but I know that I need a flashgun with manual control and should be compatible with P-TTL, and a wireless sync trigger of some sort. What are my options to keep this reasonably cheap but functional? Guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
jon

11-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If you intend to learn off camera lighting you don't really need P-TTL, you'll get a lot more for your money if you just go with a fully manual flash. You can't use P-TTL with most radio triggers anyway. Manual is not hard to learn, especially with the instant review digital allows, you eventually get a feel for what flash power you'll need and can get pretty close with your first shot.

The Yongnuo YN-560 is my favorite, it is cheap, simple to use and powerful. You can get the YN-560 III for $75 which has the internal radio receiver compatible with RF-602 and RF-603 transmitters. There is even an upcoming transmitter that will allow you to set the power levels remotely. I've had the original YN-560 for a while now and use it a lot, the only time I've had problems with it is when the batteries get low. Also, any light modifier that fits a Canon 580EX II will fit the YN-560, the heads are the same size.
11-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
The Yongnuo YN-560 is my favorite, it is cheap, simple to use and powerful. You can get the YN-560 III for $75 which has the internal radio receiver compatible with RF-602 and RF-603 transmitters. There is even an upcoming transmitter that will allow you to set the power levels remotely. I've had the original YN-560 for a while now and use it a lot, the only time I've had problems with it is when the batteries get low. Also, any light modifier that fits a Canon 580EX II will fit the YN-560, the heads are the same size.
+1 for that trigger/flash suggestion.

There are also older Promaster flashes out there on Ebay (5750DX) that you can pick up pretty cheap, but they do the job well, they just have fewer bells and whistles than the more-expensive flashes.
11-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

YN560 is good, i do enjoy using it. Yn560 II Can found on ebay under 50$. U will need also radiotrigger. From ebay u can find about 11$ 32" white/silver reflector with grip to soften flash.

There is also about 30$ travel lightstands (legs packed up), about 40" umbrella iis cheap and umbrellaholder. About 50-60$ total tree items.

Books to study Strobist: The Updated, Essential Strobist Bookshelf

11-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For learning off camera flash, visit the strobist 101 page: here
11-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just took a series using manual off camera flashes in umbrellas, triggered by my K10's on board flash. I use a flash meter, but you can do the same thing with test shots. My rig is really cheap Adorama flashes I bought: flashes, umbrellas, stands, snoot and barn doors and the flash meter for well under $1,000 when I was taking weddings and portraits for extra cash. They work just fine. Check out the inexpensive studio sets on Adorama and other places.
12-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
To get started all you need is a couple of triggers, a set like this will work fine, 16 Channels Radio Wireless Remote Speedlite Flash Trigger for Nikon Canon Pentax | eBay. Then a couple of flashes, maybe your dad, uncle, granddad, friend has one, even pick up old flashes at a flea market. This will get you hooked, then think about light modifiers, stands, barn doors etc after you have learnt the basics. One of the problems these days is that everyone wants the best, which is fine, but sometimes you can't afford it, so there are work arounds, a piece of white card can be used as a bounce card, masking tape over the glass will diffuse the light, you might not want to do that to an expensive flash, but a you might on a cheepo one.

Hope that helps.

Tuggie76