Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Lighting Techniques from Joe McNally

There is a great collection of videos on lighting techniques by Joe McNally offered by Adorama TV, dubbed "Photo on the Go with Joe McNally".

Joe McNally is known for his elaborate use of many portable flashes for on location shoots. I find that he does not stray too often from the one technique he does so well (cold ambient light with warm flash accents) but watching at least a couple of his videos is very instructive indeed.

I cannot quite believe that he personally is into the Nikon CLS system to the extent he promotes it in these videos and his books and suspect that he is playing an ambassador role here. The things he does with it are indeed possible, but it seems to me that using radio triggers and manual flash settings would be quicker, more reliable, and more flexible.

Having said that, Joe McNally is a great photographer, very good teacher, and funny as well. I like that he stayed humble despite his many achievements and provides you with a very honest, down to earth perspective on photography.

Thanks to Adorama and Joe McNally for this great resource!

12-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Really like McNallys books much.
12-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Myself and a few other local Canucks met him (and David Hobby) when their "Flash Bus" tour rolled into Buffalo NY. McNally took the time to walk down the line of people waiting to get in to personally thank them for attending and ask each and every person "what do you hope we show you today?" and then waited for each and every answer.
(400+ people!)

He even signed the diffuser of one Pentaxian's AF-500 FTZ and said "I think the big Joe sig takes about 1/3 stop of light, so compensate for it!"

BTW, he did go on and on about Nikon CLS, and even had every Nikon shooter in the crowd slave their flash on the same channel as his, then raise it at the same time so he could command all of them at once!

Dude also has so many assistants, I think CLS is the only way they can do what he wants with his settings!