Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Newborns have acrocyanotic skin in the first couple of days due to the circulatory system changes that occur as a result of transition to ex-utero life. Their extremities are prone to bluish-purplish mottling, exacerbated by a cool room temperature. It's important to have a warm room if you want any of those naked or diapered baby photos. Too much light might also give you some translucency issues depending on the baby.

And not every baby is cute & cherubic & photogenic. Some babies you'll have to work hard to get a "cute" picture.
Thanks Dansamy, but I was thinking of damage to their eyes, the brightness of the flash possibly causing damage.

Tuggie76

12-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
Thanks Dansamy, but I was thinking of damage to their eyes, the brightness of the flash possibly causing damage.

Tuggie76
Why not just call a Doctors office and ask?
12-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Newborns don't spend much time with their eyes open. At a couple weeks old, they'll have longer periods of wakefulness. A burst of bright light will be irritating to a baby, but not particularly damaging. Prolonged exposure probably isn't a great idea. Kids are practically made of rubber when they arrive. They're not as fragile as you think.
12-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
When they delivered my brother's kid a few years ago, they (the nurses) took photos in the delivery room with flash...don't remember why they did this, but they did use it..

12-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #20
Site Supporter

It's common for nurseries to photograph a newborn for identification purposes in the event of an attempted abduction. Mom's bracelet id number matches baby's. There's an infant security system. It's like a house arrest system. We footprint, fingerprint & photograph every newborn. The nursery has special locks with restricted access. My hospital has fired a nurse before for compromising infant security.
12-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Newborns don't spend much time with their eyes open. At a couple weeks old, they'll have longer periods of wakefulness. A burst of bright light will be irritating to a baby, but not particularly damaging. Prolonged exposure probably isn't a great idea. Kids are practically made of rubber when they arrive. They're not as fragile as you think.
O/k, so flash would be preferable to bright lights then?

Thanks

Tuggie76
12-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #22
Site Supporter

In order of preference, soft indoor, bounced flash, prolonged bright lights, prolonged direct sunlight. The biggest concern for prolonged direct sunlight is UV damage. That's why when you see a baby under the blue lights for jaundice, we have a mask over their eyes. The phototherapy lights are UV & to get baby's bilirubin levels down, they need to remain under them for 23 hours a day if we can get parents to cooperate.

12-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That was my first setup when I started. The stands are sturdy enough for lights that come with it but make sure you have some sand bags to be safe as it can fall over (not a good thing for kids or clients). The material used for the backgrounds are a little thin so watch out for that. The only thing I really don't like about the kit is the lights.Need more power but it's fine for what it is.

Knowing what I know now I probably wouldn't have bought it. It was fine till I used a friends AlienBee's B800 system with a big 60" reflector umbrellas, beauty dish and gridded softboxes. I've actually just went with 3 manual flashes, combination reflector/shoot through umbrellas and I'm good to go.
12-06-2013, 02:24 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
Knowing what I know now I probably wouldn't have bought it. It was fine till I used a friends AlienBee's B800 system with a big 60" reflector umbrellas, beauty dish and gridded softboxes. I've actually just went with 3 manual flashes, combination reflector/shoot through umbrellas and I'm good to go.
funnily enough, my exact current setup is 3 small flashes on a triflash that's often used with a 60" umbrella and a B800 with a beauty dish, oftentimes boomed overhead