Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #1

Beginner Studio Lighting Kit Suggestions

Hi All,

I'm about to have a baby and want to acquire a budget studio lighting kit to take photos when the time comes. I currently have a Pentax K-5 with a Metz AF-1 flash. I also have 2 Loadstone 86" light stands, one with a hotshoe adapter for my Metz. What do you all suggest I get to compliment my setup so I can get some good quality "studio" shots? I've been looking online and there are a few light kits I see that are affordable on Amazon (< $250). I'd like to keep the budget around or under $200.

From what I can tell, I need a backdrop kit, perhaps a softbox, and some umbrellas. Do I need a constant light? Do I need flash triggers? Should I get a cheapo flash as well? Any suggestions would be great.

12-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Best $110 you'll ever spend on studio lighting
creativeLIVE: Studio Lighting with Zack Arias

You can have the gear, but it doesn't mean anything without the knowledge and skills behind it. More often than not, the ideal kit comes after attaining the knowledge of your actual needs
12-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Light modifiers! If you don't want to buy your studio strobes twice, get a system that has plenty of accessories and light modifiers available for it to fit the strobes.
12-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
Best $110 you'll ever spend on studio lighting
creativeLIVE: Studio Lighting with Zack Arias

You can have the gear, but it doesn't mean anything without the knowledge and skills behind it. More often than not, the ideal kit comes after attaining the knowledge of your actual needs
Thanks for the suggestion. I still need the gear to practice with. Once I acquire it I will be reading up on lighting techniques etc.

12-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by synnyster Quote
so I can get some good quality "studio" shots?
What do you think "studio shots" look like?
I'm assuming you mean muslin backgrounds? For typical family photos, you usually need 3 lights, and props.
For the $200 budget, you probably won't get better than what you pointed out

I'd avoid constant lights but kids are usually twitchy so you'll get motion blur.
Studio strobes should have 250W modeling lamps so you can aim them properly, though you could do it w/ speedlights.
Look at Strobist to learn how to light.
12-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Clip lights from Home depot, A bucket of bulbs from 15w to 100w. Clothes pins, Parchment Paper and a a clean white wall.

The rest is technique.

12-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter

What's the parchment for?
12-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
What's the parchment for?
Use as reflectors, diffusers. Pin loosely over clip lights. Watch carefully as you dont want them to go up in fire.

Play with the paper, Hang them loose, Turn in to cones etc.

Just have fun.
12-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Yeah, almost as soon as I asked, I started thinking of what you COULD do with parchment. I suppose one could also make reflectors with some household materials also.
12-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Yeah, almost as soon as I asked, I started thinking of what you COULD do with parchment. I suppose one could also make reflectors with some household materials also.
Yeah, But these are hard to beat.
HDX 150-Watt Incandescent Clamp Light-CE-300PDQ at The Home Depot

Just dont overload your circuits by plugging in too many on the same leg.
12-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
for reflectors, you can use disposable aluminum baking pans as well.
Cheap poster boards from Michael's or some other crafts store works well for reflectors too...they have gold, white, etc.

It's really about light. Just make sure to have enough so your shutter speed doesn't drop too low if you're using continuous light...

But the question is still what do "studio shots" mean to the OP. An example would help us figure out what's really needed...
12-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Constant lighting (typically done with 6500K fluorescent bulbs these days) makes it easy to get the desired lighting effect. The downside is even with some pretty high wattage bulbs (for fluorescent lights), you will likely find your shutter speeds are lower than what you would like for an active subject. The flip side is that lamp holders can be inexpensively converted into speedlight (flash) holders by the time the baby is more active and by then you should know what does and doesn't work for you.
12-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I've heard different ideas as to wether flash is good for new borns or only natural light should be used. Does anyone have a definative answer?

Thanks.

Tuggie76
12-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Newborns have acrocyanotic skin in the first couple of days due to the circulatory system changes that occur as a result of transition to ex-utero life. Their extremities are prone to bluish-purplish mottling, exacerbated by a cool room temperature. It's important to have a warm room if you want any of those naked or diapered baby photos. Too much light might also give you some translucency issues depending on the baby.

And not every baby is cute & cherubic & photogenic. Some babies you'll have to work hard to get a "cute" picture.