Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #1

First flash

I have a k5 ii and I'm looking for my first flash. My primary, first use is going to be for macro.. I plan to construct a cheap diffuser to add on to the flash. I prefer to stay on the less expensive side of things for now. Just not sure what brand I should be looking for that would be compatible with my camera.

Chris

12-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Treedo Quote
I have a k5 ii and I'm looking for my first flash. My primary, first use is going to be for macro.. I plan to construct a cheap diffuser to add on to the flash. I prefer to stay on the less expensive side of things for now. Just not sure what brand I should be looking for that would be compatible with my camera.

Chris
Strobist: Lighting 101 will teach you plenty about using a flash, particularly if you want to stick to inexpensive options that aren't pTTL compatible.
12-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, I am trying to get into macro myself. My thinking is to build a DIY on-board- flash extension/diffuser, The onboard flash has enough power for such a close range, especially when the light is directed to where it needs to be, and it is P-TTL. There are a lot of samples of people's tries at this on this forum. Some of the best macro shots I have seen here were made with very "funny" set-ups.
12-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You may want to take a look at the following DIY forum article.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/62-do-yourself/50942-diy-macro-ring-flash...ble-fring.html

Tim

12-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I recommend to get the flash off the camera.

The easiest and most reliable way to trigger it off-camera is using a radio triggers, such as the Cactus V5. The triggers will enable you to use any flash, including old ones with very high triggering voltages that may harm your camera.

No need to use P-TTL for macro photography, AFAIC. Use manual settings and get reliable and consistent results.

Add a light modifier to your flash (e.g., a portable softbox) and you're golden. For macro photography, the modifier does not have to be huge as the subjects are small.

Last edited by Class A; 12-12-2013 at 08:00 AM.
12-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And if you want remote control (no need for that w/ macro photography though), have a look at the Radiopopper JrX Studio triggers paired w/ $80 Nikon SB-28 flashes. That's the road I went on because pTTL at the time was flaky (fixed w/ the K-3 apparently)...