Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
adjust flash EV compensation to control the flash(p-TTL)
Just so I'm clear, camera in manual mode, flash in p-TTL mode? I'm a poor judge of distance and slow at doing calculations in my head, if the flash and/or camera can calculate how long to fire the flash to properly exposure the subject, that is a huge advantage for me when I'm taking candid pictures. Manually setting aperture, shutter speed and ISO to get the natural light exposure I want, I think I can handle.
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
There is no Matrix nor Spot metering when using flash
And now I can see that unplanned reflections will mess up the camera's metering, which is not ideal, but is a factor I can learn to deal with.

Thanks again for taking the time to post thoughtful replies.

12-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Just so I'm clear, camera in manual mode, flash in p-TTL mode? I'm a poor judge of distance and slow at doing calculations in my head, if the flash and/or camera can calculate how long to fire the flash to properly exposure the subject, that is a huge advantage for me when I'm taking candid pictures. Manually setting aperture, shutter speed and ISO to get the natural light exposure I want, I think I can handle. And now I can see that unplanned reflections will mess up the camera's metering, which is not ideal, but is a factor I can learn to deal with.

Thanks again for taking the time to post thoughtful replies.
Yep, that's right. Camera in manual mode, flash in p-TTL mode.

Therefore, even if there are sudden unwanted reflections appearing when you recompose after chimping, the ambient exposure would still be almost the same (almost, because i don't know how bad the reflection is).

That is at least better than shooting in Av mode and on center-weighted or spot metering where the error margin for the camera metering system is greater.

Have a go.. Just keep in mind: When using flash, take into account ambient exposure and flash exposure.
12-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
+1000
This I'd bet is what happened.
It confuses other x-TTL systems too...the camera is basically trying to keep from overexposing, so it try to light the brightest part of the scene w/o doing this. In the case of a reflection, it gets confused.
The older auto-thyristor systems worked better in these situations (you can use A mode w/ your flash as well).
I ran into this situation over Christmas, the picture was way underexposed. When I looked at the setting I noticed 2 pictures on the wall, moved away from them and life was wonderful! I learn something every day here, if only I could remember it all!

Tuggie76
12-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RGlasel,
As others noted the reflective surface is enemy #1 for P-TTL. That's why everything is so dark in that shot. Also, F7.1 even 6.7 would be enough to get everything in focus.
What I'd do is take the Metz off the camera an use its pop up flash as a trigger. Make sure you're beyond 12-14 (depends on your ISO) ft from the subject. Experiment with direction the Metz fires from and the distance to the woman.

12-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
I ran into this situation over Christmas, the picture was way underexposed. When I looked at the setting I noticed 2 pictures on the wall, moved away from them and life was wonderful! I learn something every day here, if only I could remember it all!

Tuggie76
Same experience. A baby's white sock can result in a dark baby. I've noticed this more with newer Pentax bodies and less back with the K20d. Manual mode doesn't completely solve the problem for me. I still find myself using the exposure compensation button a good deal.
12-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I read somewhere hat the canon flash system in ttl mode set the flash exposure on the focus point i wonder if pentax does this if you use the select focus pint and maybe link it?
12-31-2013, 12:36 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sinus007 Quote
What I'd do is take the Metz off the camera
I'm not sure I have the dexterity to manage this for walkabout candid shots, but it does work extremely well when I use a tripod and remote. Indoors, I also have more opportunities to bounce off of walls and ceilings (I've even been able to make it look like the sun shining through blinds by bouncing off a window). I'm guessing that this would all be a piece of cake if P-TTL metering could work against a spot zone instead of the entire frame. As it stands right now, it appears the only solution is to take the shot, examine it, and recompose the shot if I don't get the right exposure. Not impossible, even for a dabbler like myself, but with all of the automation available to us for natural light shots, it's a shame that flash photography doesn't benefit from more intelligent automation as well.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

01-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I read somewhere hat the canon flash system in ttl mode set the flash exposure on the focus point i wonder if pentax does this if you use the select focus pint and maybe link it?
honestly, i don't think Pentax does that... Coz CaNikon flash ecosystem is light years ahead than Pentax.. :/
01-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

"light years ahead" I like that
01-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #25

This guy does a pretty good job at describing the basics of explaining the basics of flash exposure.

01-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Canon's system uses or used distance as one factor, but I don't think it used any kind of link to a spot.
01-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Pentax uses the entire sensor area to meter when using the flash. Spot and Matrix metering have no useful meaning when PTTL flash is used.
01-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Canon's system uses or used distance as one factor, but I don't think it used any kind of link to a spot.
Canon uses FE Lock or Flash Exposure Lock. This allows you to aim the viewfinder over a point or a spot what have you, and then have the calculated flash output (after an initial preflash) retained in memory.

M
01-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Canon uses FE Lock or Flash Exposure Lock. This allows you to aim the viewfinder over a point or a spot what have you, and then have the calculated flash output (after an initial preflash) retained in memory.

M
Yes that's what I heard and was talking about, unfortunately for some odd reason the various owners of the Pentax brand have fallen way behind the majors in their implementation of on board flash and TTL flash in general.

Perhaps Rioch will address this in the next generation of bodies but that does not help us with older models .

It like the focus points there is another area where Pentax have not kept up.
01-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Yes that's what I heard and was talking about, unfortunately for some odd reason the various owners of the Pentax brand have fallen way behind the majors in their implementation of on board flash and TTL flash in general.

Perhaps Rioch will address this in the next generation of bodies but that does not help us with older models .

It like the focus points there is another area where Pentax have not kept up.
That's what i heard too.. But anyway, talking about focus points, i just hope that they will spread the AF points over a larger area; maybe 50%?
Because yes, i use selective AF points and i still find myself kind of restricted within a small area..