Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #1

Simple, cheap flash

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey guys,

Quick question. I'm doing a favor for a friend and shooting some of their wedding shots, and I just need a decent (but cheaper due to the budget) to get the job done. I've spent the year using Canon speedlites for a job, and now I'm on my Pentax K-5ii. The two I'm looking at are

Amazon.com: Sigma EF-610 DG ST Electronic Flash for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Bower SFD926P Power Zoom Flash for Pentax & Samsung SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Anyone have any suggestions or feedback?

Thanks

12-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Metz 36 AF-5 P-TTL Flash for Pentax Digital Cameras MZ36357PS
12-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
See I was looking at that too, but it doesn't have horizontal tilt, so I kinda viewed that as a big downer.
12-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Pentax AF280T.............

Pentax AF 280T Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax | eBay

12-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
Question about that AF280T, I was playing with one a bit ago, and I couldn't figure it out for the life of me...most noticeable is that I couldn't flash compensate, or adjust power in increments. I could only adjust exposure by adjusting my aperture. Kinda limiting in terms of fill. Any suggestions on how to use/am I missing something about it? Also, with the metz, if I'm using a DEMB flash card, will the lack of horizontal swivel really be that limiting?
12-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Does not support PTTL.

Steve
12-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by s.wilding Quote
Question about that AF280T, I was playing with one a bit ago, and I couldn't figure it out for the life of me...most noticeable is that I couldn't flash compensate, or adjust power in increments. I could only adjust exposure by adjusting my aperture. Kinda limiting in terms of fill. Any suggestions on how to use/am I missing something about it? Also, with the metz, if I'm using a DEMB flash card, will the lack of horizontal swivel really be that limiting?

It's simple and cheap. Manual with one auto setting. Set it on A, follow the guide on the back for setting the aperture, use X shutter speed. The sensor on the front will do the rest.

12-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Does not support PTTL.

Steve

Yea, I know. But he said simple and cheap. It will get the job done.
12-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Important for me would be the number of power levels in manual mode. So which one is more flexible in that area?

If the budget can be stretched to a 610 Super, that would be my choice over the 610 ST. Reason is that it has more options that you might want to use at a later stage (buy once, enjoy forever ) and, more importantly, it has far better manual control (more levels). But it is quite a bit more expensive.

Prepared to go full manual? Yongnuo has a good reputation.

Also, with the metz, if I'm using a DEMB flash card, will the lack of horizontal swivel really be that limiting?
I'm not a very experienced flash photographer, but I find that a reflector (I use a Rogue) is no replacement for bouncing. I often still end up with significant shadows; softer, but they are still there. But this might be my lack of experience.
12-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #10

Original Poster
So I've been looking at a lot of flashes now (thanks for all the advice guys), and I have one more question. Most of the TTL flashes in my price range for this seem to lose that functionality once you pop it up vertically. Since I'm using a bounce card (DEMB) for the whole thing, TTL seems like it may be a little more useless. Due to the card would I actually be better off just running a full manual flash and save up for a good TTL down the road? Or am I misunderstanding some of these cheaper TTL guys and I'll still benefit from them in vertical bounce?
12-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My flash is PTTL only, (Sigma EEF510DGST) and not great at bouncing (i've never got it to work)

I actual fact, it's not that amazing at anything other than the flash being pointed straight at the subject (which makes me wonder why on earth the head even moves)

I'd really recommend a flash that allows manual modes, I regret not spending the extra

*it's also worth noting that I've never really done any flash photography, so I don't actually know much about it at all - most of the issues above could be user error*
12-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Most of the TTL flashes in my price range for this seem to lose that functionality once you pop it up vertically.
Do you have a reference for that? I know that there have been reports that pTTL is overexposing when bouncing (K5). I don't know if that was improved / solved in later models but it also happened with expensive flashes. Somebody might be able to comment on this. But I've never heard of a disabled pTTL when bouncing.

If you don't have a problem with full manual, Yongnuo flashes are well regarded.
12-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The Sigma flashes are a good value for your money, but their user interface is non-intuitive. I've had to refer to the manual several times.
12-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #14
Forum Member

I apologise for borrowing this thread, as I'm also in the potential market for a new cheap(ish) flash... As I'm using a dual system (K-5 and 5D mkII), minimising cost with a flash that would work on both systems would be an obvious choice. Considering this, I figured I have 3 options:

1. All manual flash like the YN-560 II, that would easily work on both cameras, but with without all the bells and whistles of p-ttl/e-ttl flashes;
2. P-TTL flash with adjustable power levels to use on auto with the K-5 and as a manual flash on 5D, but I'm not sure if a pentax flash would fire on a canon...
3. Vice versa of the above option, an E-TTL flash with adjustable power output (like YN-468II or Meike 580) on 5D with the manual use on K-5, this way should work without much trouble.

I'm open to any suggestions, personally I'm leaning toward option 3, as there's much greater choice of e-ttl flashes then p-ttl...

Regards, Tomaz
12-26-2013, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jegr Quote
I apologise for borrowing this thread, as I'm also in the potential market for a new cheap(ish) flash... As I'm using a dual system (K-5 and 5D mkII), minimising cost with a flash that would work on both systems would be an obvious choice. Considering this, I figured I have 3 options:
Actually, you have a third option. Get an automatic, non-ttl flash that meters the flash with its own sensor. Like the famous Vivitar 285HV flash. That should work on the Pentax and Canon equally well. Just make sure if you buy an automatic flash, that it's sync voltage isn't too high. Many of these flashes tend to be older designs and have a high enough voltage that they could break you camera. The Vivitar 285HV is a safe option. It's an updated version of the old 285 that has a lower voltage.