Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #1

Apurture Amaran led ring flash

Hi guys,
Has anyone had any experience with using these flash units on Pentax Cameras. The manufacture says they are mainly for Nikon and Canon but will work on Pentax, but with no AF-assist. I would like to get one as they are small enough to carry overseas instead of taking my Sigma EM 140DG. I would appreciate any comments,

07-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As would I, has anyone used these before?
07-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
After my Sigma EM 140 died I purchased a couple of different cheapo ring lights. Almost the same as the one you are interested--they are all the same really. Basically, I eventually purchased another Sigma. The illumination produces by these LED jobs is too puny to be useful.

M
07-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
After my Sigma EM 140 died I purchased a couple of different cheapo ring lights. Almost the same as the one you are interested--they are all the same really. Basically, I eventually purchased another Sigma. The illumination produces by these LED jobs is too puny to be useful.

M
Yep everyone I know who thought they coudl get nice cheap Macro flashes with these L.E.D offerings have regretted the wasted money.

To little light output to be useful in any meaningful way.

I have a cheap L.E.D flood and it has many more lights than the macro version but even so is woefull for still use.

07-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah use in video seems a potentially useful option?

Unusually a lot of comments say these ones were too bright for customers for portraits, but that's probably as these lights appear to stay on permanently.

There is a double power mode as a flash but even then it's nowhere near a 'real' flash.
10-01-2015, 05:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Amaran 100 -- it is more powerful than most of the other cheap LED ring flashes out there. Weighs next to nothing (at least compared to my Olympus T8 ring flash!) That being said, it really is only good for macro work, but for that use case it works quite well. I would recommending it for use with the 35mm Macro for example. Of course, if you are serious about ring flash macro work, you need to spend a lot more. Not a bad way to see if ring flash is for you.

Michael