Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #1

Metz 52 AF-1 Preflash Delay = slow to fire?

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Metz 52 AF-1 flash for my Pentax K-r. I like this flash a lot except for the fact that, due to the pre-flash, there is about a 1 - 2 second delay between the time I press the shutter button to the time the picture is actually taken. On my old flash, a cheaper Polarioid PL-144AZ, there was no preflash or delay. I take a lot of photos of my kids in movement so this delay results in a lot of missed shots and such.

Is there a way to disable the preflash and not have a delay? I like the flash, but am not sure I'm going to keep a unit that doesn't allow me to take photos instantly as something is happening.

01-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Martowski Quote
Hi All,

I recently purchased a Metz 52 AF-1 flash for my Pentax K-r. I like this flash a lot except for the fact that, due to the pre-flash, there is about a 1 - 2 second delay between the time I press the shutter button to the time the picture is actually taken. On my old flash, a cheaper Polarioid PL-144AZ, there was no preflash or delay. I take a lot of photos of my kids in movement so this delay results in a lot of missed shots and such.

Is there a way to disable the preflash and not have a delay? I like the flash, but am not sure I'm going to keep a unit that doesn't allow me to take photos instantly as something is happening.
I don't know anything about that flash unit, but my Pentax is instantaneous. Are you sure that maybe you accidently selected 2 sec delay on the camera?

Tuggie76
01-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #3

I also have a Metz 52 AF-1 on my K5-II. When i choose the red eye reduction flash method (preflash), the time between preflash and flash is exactly the same with the onboard flash and the Metz....
You can disable the preflash on your camera when you select the flash button and choose the left flash option.

Hope this helps,

Islejones
01-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #4

Original Poster
I'll try to disable the preflash. My actual camera doesn't delay, it's the flash unit preflash that causes it.

01-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
Islejones, thanks! It was the fact that I had redeye reduction set in my camera's flash settings. For some reason my old flash didn't fire the redeye reduction preflash, but the Metz does. Turning that off and voila! Problem solved.

Thanks again!!!!!!
01-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #6

you're welcome ;-)