Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another ring flash question, which unit?

I want a ring flash for macro and portrait photography.
I don't mind paying $350 to $450 for the Sigma or Pentax units but do I need to?
What am I getting for all that money over less expensive units? TTL? I'm ok with manual-only...

I welcome recommendations and opinions on the above mentioned units or any other less expensive units you have experience with.

01-08-2014, 01:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Sunpak Auto DX 8R Thyristor Ring Flash with the PT-2D Pentax Module which appears to be the same as the Lester Dine unit.

I bought it off eBay from a used photography gear place in the USA. $50 + shipping.
01-08-2014, 03:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use the Pentax AF160FC Ringflash - I admittedly use it dominantly in manual mode : However, the quality of light is the most important to me, and the AF160FC has a quality of light that is simply unmatched by any third party maker.

The AF160FC is also very powerful for a ringflash - providing output surpassing that of many competing macro flash units, I frequently use it at 1/16 which provides enough light to use apertures as small at f/16 at close distance with the longer 180/200mm macro lenses I work with. This lower power setting allows for faster recycling and less shot to shot delay, which can be essential when working with fast moving subjects.

The LED modelling lights used on the AF160FC are extremely useful for assisting with manual focusing, they can also be used to assist auto focus if needed. There are more than a few situations where I have used several extension tubes which causes the camera viewfinder to be so dark the only way to focus is to use the ringflash modelling lights with live view, I would not have gotten the shot at all if I didn't have the modelling lights.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-08-2014 at 03:30 AM.
01-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can also recommend the Pentax AF160FC. I have used other ring lights and ring flashes in the past but the 160 has them beat hands down. Soft even light, powerful, modeling lights, basically for all of the reasons stated by Digitalis. (Fantastic shots by the way, what are the other flashes that you are using on these?)

If I had to come up with one issue with this flash (and its a minor issue) it would be that I wish I could reduce the power down just a little bit farther, Its easy enough to compensate for but if the flash power could be set lower than 1/16 it would simplify some close macro situations but I wouldn't mark down any points for that. The only 'problem' that I have had on mine, and it just began recently so I don't know if its the flash or my K20D, but sometimes it will fail to fire. I could shoot 50 shots and then all of a sudden it will just stop. The modeling lights will work, but no flash until I turn off the flash and the camera and start them back up again, then it will work for another batch of shots, who knows why doesn't happen very often. But this flash has seen heavy use, one of the batteries doesn't fit as snug as the others (might have always been like that, i don't know) and the directional switch on the bottom is starting to to not 'click' as firmly into position when you move it. But as I said this flash has been used a lot and I certainly wouldn't say that this was typical in any way. I might even send it in for service, something I've never done with a flash before, I like it that much.

01-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
If I had to come up with one issue with this flash (and its a minor issue) it would be that I wish I could reduce the power down just a little bit farther, Its easy enough to compensate for but if the flash power could be set lower than 1/16 it would simplify some close macro situations
I suppose with shorter macro lenses the AF160FC is a bit too powerful, for me and my long macro lenses 1/16 is the Goldilocks setting.

QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
Fantastic shots by the way, what are the other flashes that you are using on these?
For the mantis: just a single AF540FGZ - for the Australian Antechinus - that was with the AF160FC in P-TTL mode balanced with daylight, I was very impressed with the result.
01-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
for the Australian Antechinus - that was with the AF160FC in P-TTL mode balanced with daylight, I was very impressed with the result.
The result is very impressive indeed, great capture! The AF160FC is really a fine instrument in skilled hands!
01-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I see the Pentax unit comes with lens adapter rings in 49mm, 52mm, 58mm, 67mm filter threads.
I am not immediately finding that there are more sizes available for purchase. Are there?

01-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
I am not immediately finding that there are more sizes available for purchase. Are there?
No, there are not. Most true macro lenses are primes which tend to have smaller filter threads than zoom lenses. And in any case I wouldn't recommend using a ringflash on a zoom lens as the extra weight on the front of the lens could cause damage to the zoom/focusing mechanism
01-13-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No, there are not. Most true macro lenses are primes which tend to have smaller filter threads than zoom lenses. And in any case I wouldn't recommend using a ringflash on a zoom lens as the extra weight on the front of the lens could cause damage to the zoom/focusing mechanism
I was hoping to use it on my Sigma 70mm Macro, it uses a 62mm filter.
I guess I could step down from the 67mm adapter?
01-14-2014, 06:50 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

guess I could step down from the 67mm adapter?
That would be your best option. I use a 72~67mm step down ring with my sigma 180mm f/3.5 without issue.
01-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #11
bmw

I want a ring flash for macro and portrait photography.
A piece of advice: forget about using a macro ring flash for portraiture. I bought the AF160 with that hope and quickly found that for portrait work it produces light almost indistinguishable from the popup flash. The source is too small to get those famous ring light catchlights. But for macro work it's the bees knees.

Oh, I did successfully use my AF160 for glamour portraits once by putting it inside a Westcott Mini-Apollo softbox (18" square). Very tricky to jury rig up (I used carved styrofoam pieces and tie-wrapped the cable to the monopod) but it's powerful enough and I got great results.
01-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The only other one I have to compare it to was a very old one, but I bought the Pentax AF160FC last year and am very satisfied with it. I use it with stacked raynoxes on a kit zoom, works great.

see this Pentax AF160FC Ringflash writeup
01-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bmw Quote
forget about using a macro ring flash for portraiture. I bought the AF160 with that hope and quickly found that for portrait work it produces light almost indistinguishable from the popup flash
If you can't spot the difference between a ringflash and a pop up flash, then you have much to learn about lighting. A ringflash is considerably bigger than a pop-up flash, this causes the shadows to be considerably softer - and the distinctive shadows that only ringflash can produce.
01-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #14
bmw

If you can't spot the difference between a ringflash and a pop up flash, then you have much to learn about lighting. A ringflash is considerably bigger than a pop-up flash, this causes the shadows to be considerably softer - and the distinctive shadows that only ringflash can produce.
Yes, Digitalis, I'm aware of that. At the distance you need to be for a portrait however, the size of the macro ring flash becomes so close to a point source it is very nearly the same as the light from the popup flash. Think of the sun: it's a huge freakin' light source, yet because it's so far away it looks like a point source.

You can see for yourself by inspecting the catchlights from a popup and a macro ring flash in the eyes of a portrait subject, taken at 6-8 feet. I agree that I actually prefer the subtle difference of the ring light in that case, but both produce fairly hard, unflattering light, not pleasant on the skin of older folks. Okay for a 20-something model with great skin and makeup.

As for my having much to learn about lighting: sure I do; lots. As do we all. Feel free to take a look at my feeble attempts here ... (1st few are NSFW, so watch out.)
01-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bmw Quote
A piece of advice: forget about using a macro ring flash for portraiture. I bought the AF160 with that hope and quickly found that for portrait work it produces light almost indistinguishable from the popup flash. The source is too small to get those famous ring light catchlights. But for macro work it's the bees knees.

Oh, I did successfully use my AF160 for glamour portraits once by putting it inside a Westcott Mini-Apollo softbox (18" square). Very tricky to jury rig up (I used carved styrofoam pieces and tie-wrapped the cable to the monopod) but it's powerful enough and I got great results.
Methinks you are confusing macro ring lights with portrait-oriented ring flashes made by Alienbees & others. Orbis and other knockoffs allow you to adapt your on-camera flash for portrait shooting.

M