Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Flash advice please..

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I never liked using flash equipment during the many years that I shot 35mm and rarely used it. That set the stage for not learning much about it. Lately, I've found myself in situations - mostly shooting family type stuff (six grandchildren ages 2-10) - where I need to use a flash. The built-in flash is pretty much useless, based on results.

I need a unit that is powerful and flexible enough to handle most normal "people in interiors" (for lack of a better way to describe it) situations. I assume that it should also recycle quickly. I have both a K10D and a DS; can I get something that can be used on both cameras? If not, I'll use it on the K10D. Also, if I have a decent flash I might try using it for macro work (infrequently).

The really irrational part of this, is that I hate using something that sticks up from the hot shoe. The few times that I used flash equipment with my 35mm cameras, it was one that mounted on a bracket (attached to the tripod socket;still have it) that held it to the side of the camera; I'd like to stay with that type of setup.

Since I don't know much/anything about flash, looking at various equipment descriptions on a web site like B&H just gets confusing. As far as cost goes, I would like to keep it under $500 in total. Hope that someone can give some direction here.

Thanks.

04-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone today posted a price break on the AF360FGZ flash at $115.00 (Circuit City). Check thier web site. You can get an off camera flash bracket at most retailers that sell cameras or of course Ebay.

The 360 will fire wirelessly so you can put it on a flash bracket and there are no cables needed. Very simple setup that doesn't take long to master. Order a diffuser, even a basic one like a Sto-Flen to soften the light. The only thing the 360 can't do is swivel but that's really not a huge issue for what you describe. Plus you can take the flash and put it on a table or anywhere with the wireless to get interesting results. It can bounce off the ceiling etc.

One issue of caution. Off camera flash handles generally use metal shoes to mount the flash. You will have to insulate the metal from the flash's base contacts. It wil cause the flash to short out and fire. I use the strip of plastic that is on the back side of Velcro tape. It's thin enough to fit between the 2 and tough enough to last. Cut it to fit and put a drop of super glue on the bracket (not the flash) and glue the plastic in place. Then you are set to go. Of course you may find a plastic shoe but it will not be as strong.
04-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Here's the link:

Buy the Pentax Electronic Flash and other Digital camera flashes at circuitcity.com

and this will do for a grip:

Flash Bracket & Handle for Rolleiflex 2.8 or 3.5 Camera - eBay (item 300215860820 end time Apr-19-08 21:31:52 PDT)

Also, you asked about the 2 cameras and this flash will work with both.
04-14-2008, 07:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The main drawback of the AF360FGZ is that it doesn't have a swivel head. If you're going to mount it off-camera, that doesn't matter nearly as much, so that's a really good choice. With the K10D (updated firmware) you can even get P-TTL flash control wirelessly off-camera, with the on-camera flash either contributing to the exposure or just acting as a controller. If you've got $500 to spend, get two.

04-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If shooting little ones ... and indoors ... I do suggest getting a bounce/swivel flash if you can.

Even if it is mounted on a bracket ... you may still want to shoot portrait style orientation ... and that's where the swivel heads really help out (so you can bounce off the ceiling with camera turned).

I was lucky ... even for an Aussie ... to pick up a Sigma EF 530 DG Super from the US for $270-ish delivered here (that's around the $250US mark. It's P-TTL and supports wireless as well.

Like you I haven't really dabbled with flash previously ... but I have found that it makes capturing my nieces perfectly indoors sooooo much easier (both under 2yo) ... all shots are now crisp and nicely lit.
04-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I just picked up a Digital Concepts 952AF/PEN about a week or so ago for $112 + shipping on eBay. Has full TTL, swivel, bounce, built-in defuser and reflector. I'm quite happy with it so far. If/when I really get into strobe work I'd likely want something with a little more punch but for 'family type' shots where I'm just looking to augment available light it has done quite nicely.

DC 952AF/PEN
04-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
One issue of caution. Off camera flash handles generally use metal shoes to mount the flash. You will have to insulate the metal from the flash's base contacts. It will cause the flash to short out and fire. I use the strip of plastic that is on the back side of Velcro tape. It's thin enough to fit between the 2 and tough enough to last. Cut it to fit and put a drop of super glue on the bracket (not the flash) and glue the plastic in place. Then you are set to go. Of course you may find a plastic shoe but it will not be as strong.
I just use a business card, ripped into three strips for this, and if works fine as well.

04-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I just use a business card, ripped into three strips for this, and if works fine as well.
Or electrical tape.
04-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Or you can get one of the older non-dedicated flashes which only has the middle pin.
04-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

$500 for an external flash? That's easy!
Get a Pentax AF540FGZ or Sigma DG530 Super. Both are P-TTL, which is a great feature when you don't have time to adjust exposure settings in variable ambient light settings, and can bounce and swivel. They're more expensive than the 360FGZ, but for good reason. The bounce/swivel function is invaluable for shooting fast-paced kids, enabling you to change from landscape to portrait shots very quickly while still having flash bounce from the ceiling.

Older flashes with a middle pin are just as effective once you've got exposure right (I did quite well with my $20 flash on M mode). It's your choice...
04-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
I just picked up a Digital Concepts 952AF/PEN about a week or so ago for $112 + shipping on eBay. Has full TTL, swivel, bounce, built-in defuser and reflector. I'm quite happy with it so far. If/when I really get into strobe work I'd likely want something with a little more punch but for 'family type' shots where I'm just looking to augment available light it has done quite nicely.

DC 952AF/PEN
Hi Venturi, would you tell more about this flash. Is it fully P-TTL funtional? And when used as wireless slave, does it ignore the preflash from the built-in flash? I don't see in their description mentioned that it has HSS capability, I wonder if it does or not.

Thanks,

Ken
05-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Or electrical tape.
Goodness, electrical tape? What's next, using duct tape on ducts ????

On a vaguely more serious note, the plastic electrical tape I usually get (then promptly lose) is weak, thin, and not very sticky. You'd have to look for some pro quality tape, I suppose, and keep a close eye on it when mounting and dismounting the flash.

Lot to be said for super glue when one is willing to make an irrevocable decision .....