Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Wein Hot Shoe Safe Sync question

Has anyone actually tested flash voltage with the Wein Hot Shoe Safe Sync (HSHSB) attached? I have a Vivitar 2800 flash that I want to use on my K-5 II and cannot get a reading with the Wein on. I've read the 2800 has gotten mixed voltage readings, anywhere from 10-150. I measured mine and got around 40 volts, which I don't necessarily feel comfortable putting on my camera. With the Wein on, the flash does fire.

Does anyone actually know anything about the Safe Sync other than the info on the package? It doesn't come with any instructions or numbers other than very general "Will reduce voltages from up to 400 volts."

02-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter

128 Reviews.

Wein Safe-Sync Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe (SSHSHS) 990-560 B&H Photo
02-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I suppose you could measure it, eh?

Steve
02-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I suppose you could measure it, eh?

Steve
I would, I just don't know where to! I tried the PC sync port, but didn't get a reading. I might need a new voltmeter, then.

02-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Mine measures 1 volt, regardless of which flash I connect. (My meter reads 0.99 volts to be exact, but it was a freebie from Harbor Freight Tools.)

The PC sync port on the Wein SS is exactly the same thing as the hot (top) female hot shoe that you mount your flash on. That is for connecting to those flash units that only have a PC cord, and don't have a hotshoe at all (like my Focal MPF-700T Twin). It's not for connecting to your camera's sync port! If you measure that port correctly, you will just be measuring the direct voltage from your flash.

Instead, you can measure the bottom of the Wein. Just one probe anywhere on the aluminum body, and the other probe on the round center pin. It's 1.0 volt.

I just stumbled upon your thread, sorry if you figured this out already.