Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #1

Anyone using the Godox V850?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm new to lighting equipment and would like a couple of speedlights with remote triggers as well as a couple of light stands and probably some modifiers. I found these Godox flashes online and read a good review about them. Does anyone have experience with these or can someone recommend another product? Thanks!

Godox Ving V850 Wireless Starter Kit with ft 16S Remote Power Control | eBay

02-05-2014, 06:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have not used them, but they are well regarded. Their main perk is that they use Li-Ion batteries, meaning very fast recharges and loooooong battery life. On the other hand, they loose the simplicity associated with simply popping AAs when your battery dies.

Their remote system is also fine, and is an interesting patch on wireless TTL. Everything is manual, but everything can be controlled by the remote, meaning that you don't have to walk towards each flash to adjust something. The reverse is again the downside of proprietary : it wonly works with their flashes.

I'm personally a fan of simply getting cheap radio triggers and doing everything the hard way, but if I was srating from scratch, I would strongly consider these products.
02-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I have not used them, but they are well regarded. Their main perk is that they use Li-Ion batteries, meaning very fast recharges and loooooong battery life. On the other hand, they loose the simplicity associated with simply popping AAs when your battery dies.

Their remote system is also fine, and is an interesting patch on wireless TTL. Everything is manual, but everything can be controlled by the remote, meaning that you don't have to walk towards each flash to adjust something. The reverse is again the downside of proprietary : it wonly works with their flashes.

I'm personally a fan of simply getting cheap radio triggers and doing everything the hard way, but if I was srating from scratch, I would strongly consider these products.
Thanks for the reply, is that a really good price for the bundle? It seems like it is considering some of the pentax flashes alone are more than that, but I'm not that experienced with speedlights
02-05-2014, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

It's a fair price for the bundle. Maybe a tad expensive. I have seen single flashes sell for 100$ on Amazon, the transmitter and one receiver sometimes sell for 50$, and one receiver for 30$ (that's rough estimates). so maybe by shopping around you can find a slightly better deal.

Those flashes offer all that a MANUAL flash can offer. Many power levels, fast recycle (because of the batteries, the main perk of these flashes), slave modes. They also support their own proprietary radio control which offer more controls than your typical radio trigger. They seem well built and have very long lasting batteries. They can also be triggered with a regular radio trigger via the hotshoe. They do not support the ubquitous AA batteries, which means that if you DO run out, you will be hard-pressed to power them up.

What differenciate these flashes from otherr manual flashes (Yongnuo models come to mind) is the type of batteries (with its merits and flaws) and the dedicated radio control. You can find less powerful flashes but also many with comparable power levels.

Current Pentax flashes (and all PTTL compatible flashes, be they from Sigma, Metz or others) offer mostly the same manual controls, slave modes, and power (similar or less). They almost always lack the radio trigger built-in, and use AAs (for better or worse). What they offer that the Godox are lacking is a range of automatic controls.

PTTL means that the external flash can operate just as your built-in flash would, deciding on the proper exposure automatically. If you want to control your flash remotely, you can even use wireless PTTL, where your built-in flash (or another external flash) sends light signals to the remote flash to automatically control its exposure. You can set exposure compensation and let the camera handle things. The head can zoom automatically with your lens (to control the spread of light). The two most recent flashes from Pentax also are weatherproof.

In my experience, PTTL is irrelevant in a studio, where you want consistent exposure that only manual can achieve. However, PTTL is greatly useful when on the move, when you're using one flash (bounced on a wall or ceiling for instance). Having a flash offering both PTTL and manual modes is a great convenience.

As for me, I'm using a Pentax AF540 (full PTTL) and two older Pentax AF500 (manual and old-fashioned TTL with film cameras). I'm thinking about replacing the AF500 with the new Godox to get the faster recycle time.

02-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
This won't be able to do any sort of high speed sync, correct?

Last edited by jbsg02; 02-05-2014 at 06:04 PM.
02-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #6

Not with Pentax, I believe.
02-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbsg02 Quote
This won't be able to do any sort of high speed sync, correct?
Correct, the Godox won't do HSS. For that you need a PTTL flash with the capability built-in. Most PTTL flashes do support HSS but not all (for instance, Sigma has both "Standard" and "Super" versions of their flashes, the standard does not support HSS).

With the Godox, to activate HSS on a Canon body, you would need a different remote, one that would not allow remote setting of the flash power.

02-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've just ordered and will provide feedback

Hi All.

I've just ordered a twin set and look forward to it. Not having to constantly worry about the AA batteries is going to be great.

Also, not requiring batteries for the receivers is also great. This isn't often emphasised but is really annoying with lots of receivers. Too many potential failure points, ie, fresh batteries required for flashes and receivers.

Faster recycling and longer battery life. This has got too be good.

Last but not least, remote power control of the flash groups. This is what I have wanted for a while. Going back and forth between flashes and adjusting is just really annoying.

I have some old Nikon SB24's and SB25's that I was considering getting the Radio Popper JrX's. But they are expensive and the Godox solution seems better integrated. I may finally dump the flashes and go all Godox.

Note: The old Nikon SB's were/are a favourite flash for strobists but I get the feel the Yongui flashes seem to be taking over.

Anyway, once I receive them I'll give everyone a review.

Howie B
02-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Hi All.

I've just ordered a twin set and look forward to it. Not having to constantly worry about the AA batteries is going to be great.

Also, not requiring batteries for the receivers is also great. This isn't often emphasised but is really annoying with lots of receivers. Too many potential failure points, ie, fresh batteries required for flashes and receivers.

Faster recycling and longer battery life. This has got too be good.

Last but not least, remote power control of the flash groups. This is what I have wanted for a while. Going back and forth between flashes and adjusting is just really annoying.

I have some old Nikon SB24's and SB25's that I was considering getting the Radio Popper JrX's. But they are expensive and the Godox solution seems better integrated. I may finally dump the flashes and go all Godox.

Note: The old Nikon SB's were/are a favourite flash for strobists but I get the feel the Yongui flashes seem to be taking over.

Anyway, once I receive them I'll give everyone a review.

Howie B
I ordered a couple too, under the Neewer name
02-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I too finally decided to place the order. Being in Canada it's a tad more difficult to get them, the flashes will be here next week but I got the triggers yesterday.

I can say that the receivers are extremely well made, the ring clicks well and clearly, everything seems sturdy. The transmitter is solid, but the wheel on it does not click as clearly, and the window of my unit is scratched quite a lot. I'm in communication with the seller.

However, the controls are clear, the buttons have positive clicks, the display is simple and effective (and has a low energy backlight). The antenna is flexible which is nice, the foot is very solid, the battery door sturdy but hard to open.
02-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #11

Original Poster
I too finally decided to place the order. Being in Canada it's a tad more difficult to get them, the flashes will be here next week but I got the triggers yesterday.

I can say that the receivers are extremely well made, the ring clicks well and clearly, everything seems sturdy. The transmitter is solid, but the wheel on it does not click as clearly, and the window of my unit is scratched quite a lot. I'm in communication with the seller.

However, the controls are clear, the buttons have positive clicks, the display is simple and effective (and has a low energy backlight). The antenna is flexible which is nice, the foot is very solid, the battery door sturdy but hard to open.
I also received the transmitter and receiver but haven't gotten the actual flashes yet, shipping has been very slow and it's been frustrating, especially when the tracking info hasn't updated in days
02-21-2014, 05:45 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbsg02 Quote
I also received the transmitter and receiver
does your transmitter rotating wheel/button operate well, with clear clicks, or is it "mushy" (for lack of a better word?)
02-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #13

Original Poster
does your transmitter rotating wheel/button operate well, with clear clicks, or is it "mushy" (for lack of a better word?)
I would say it is "mushy" too
02-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #14

Original Poster
Flashes finally came in and I have to say, I'm impressed. I haven't handled a lot of flashes before, but these look and feel very well made. Super easy to use with the radio transmitter where you can change the flash power from the transmitter on the camera. Manual flash is simple and easy to manage, very happy with these and excited about what they can do for my shots.

Note: I got the Neewer branded ones, same product but less expensive
02-26-2014, 04:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine arrived and quite impressed

I got the Godox Ving branded version. I haven't tried outside or long distance so this is almost a pre-review review. Anyway, my two cents after initial testing:[LIST][*]Build quality is great (Both flashes, transmitter and receivers);[*]It is easy to operate and pretty intuitive;[*]It is liberating not having to go over to the flashes to manually adjust power levels;[*]It is equally liberating not having to worry about CR2 batteries in all of the receivers. I have still old PT-04's and also CTR-301's.[*]I love that there are up to 16 groups. At this stage I envisage probably buying another two flashes so you could say the 16 groups is overkill.

The bad[LIST][*]Well, high speed sync for Pentax would be nice (this will be available for Nikon and Canon users eventually);[*]Changing exposure levels on the flashes can be a bit button intensive going from say 1/128 to 1/2 power;[*]It would be nice if there was a quick way to dial down to 0 power, ie, off.

Anyway, I am suitably impressed that I know I'll be buying more flashes eventually.

I'll test the slave mode eventually as I see this as potentially useful if just using the flashes for casual or indoor use.

Cheers,
Howie B