Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yongnuo flash not firing from Vivitar hot shoe cable

I have a K-30 with updated firmware, not sure right now which version. I have a Yongnuo YN 560 and I am trying to fire it attached to a Vivitar hot shoe cable. The flash won't even turn on though! When I try to turn it on, the flash just beeps three times and then all the LED indicators on the flash turn off, along with the flash itself. The YN 560 manual says that three beeps means that the flash is charging. But the batteries in the flash are fully charged. I have confirmed that the flash works when it is mounted in the hotshoe. I'm pretty sure I have the flash in the hot shoe cable the right way. I know that sometimes the hot shoe cable doesn't seat itself in the camera hot shoe well so I've tried jiggling it in there pretty well. I am staying well below the 1/180 shutter speed. Strangely enough, when I slide the flash into the cable hot shoe backwards, the flash will at least turn on, but won't fire at all.

A couple of pictures are attached. In the one showing the hot shoes, from left to right is the following: flash hot shoe interface, cable hot shoe, and camera hot shoe. I notice that the pin configuration of the camera hot shoe and the cable hot shoe are slightly different. The YN 560 is a manual-only flash, which means none of the pins matter except the middle pin. However, I notice it also has a pin above the middle pin. The camera hot shoe does not have that top pin, but the cable hot shoe does.

Any ideas? Is there something obvious that I'm missing here? I have an event that I'm shooting tomorrow and would like to use the flash on a flash bracket, but could go with on-camera flash if necessary.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SGH-I777  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SGH-I777  Photo 
02-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
There is a short in your cable between the center pin and ground. I just tried powering mine up with the center pin shorted to ground, never fully powered up and beeped 3 times. Normal power up is 2 beeps.
02-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Any idea how to fix that?
02-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
For the price, just get a new cable. It isn't worth the time to open it, find the short and fix it.