Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2014, 04:14 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
How-to: rim lighting on a budget

I just published an article on how I got the specific lighting look for my recent "model with flexible aluminum tubing" shots using a couple of really cheap flashes and DIY barn doors.

Note that there is an image at the end of the article that is possibly mildly NSFW depending on you and your coworker's feelings about bare Art Tushies.

No user-serviceable parts inside: Effective Rim Lighting on a Budget

Last edited by bmw; 02-10-2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: mild nsfw warning added
02-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great write up. Very informative. Wish I had a studio to set up things like this.
02-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the low-budget approach to a fairly sophisticated lighting setup. Very encouraging.
02-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
bmw

Original Poster
j2photos, sholtzma: thank you!

I should point out that I don't actually have a real studio; my studio is portable. This was shot in the exercise space of a Toronto wellness center. The space is unused a couple of days each week and I can rent it quite reasonably as compared to a photographic studio. It's not a huge space, but it has a very high ceiling.

I drive all my equipment over and carry it all in there. I have a large roller case for the medium heavy stuff, and a duffel bag for extras, props, wardrobe, and such. I also bring white foam core sheets for reflecting and black for absorbing light. It's all in keeping with low budget. :-)

Last edited by bmw; 02-09-2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: left out some words
02-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bmw Quote
I should point out that I don't actually have a real studio; my studio is portable.
This is what makes this kind of innovation so great.

And I see you also use budget props. The flex duct is another great idea on a budget, and the IKEA curtains too.

Thanks for sharing!
02-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent write up of the lighting technique and how to do it on a budget. I suggest you see if you can add it to the Articles section on these forums. A quick PM to the moderators would do the trick.
02-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Cool creative setup. You might also want to mention that the model is nude or that there is a NSFW picture in the link.
02-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
bmw

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Cool creative setup. You might also want to mention that the model is nude or that there is a NSFW picture in the link.
Thanks!

And I'll edit it.