Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Flash Systems

Are there any plans to create flash integration products.Wireless flash control, etc etc. I am sure that is one thing that keeps a lot of Pro's using speedlights form switching to Pentax.

02-12-2014, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Watch out the Japanese interviews; that's where we were hinted about the LED lights. But don't hold your breath, new flashes were just released.
02-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
I was more interested in Ricoh opening up the system so other manf. Can make wireless systems. So we can have radio triggered ttl, hss, power control, groups etc.
02-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm not sure Canon and Nikon opened their systems; it seems more likely that 3rd-party accessory makers reverse engineered the protocols.
Aokatec did it also for Pentax, but instead of interfacing directly through the contacts they're translating the optical signals:
Aokatec - Products

02-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
Agreed, not sure why no one does that with Pentax, I'm sure PW can do this with Pentax. I hope YN comes out with something.
02-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by phansu Quote
Agreed, not sure why no one does that with Pentax, I'm sure PW can do this with Pentax. I hope YN comes out with something.
small market share. Same reason why Sigma/Tamron don't release many of their lenses for K-mount. Metz does a little, but their wireless P-TTL for Pentax is bugged
02-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Just because they released new versions of the flash doesn't mean that they wouldn't release a 3rd or 4th that is the same specs except that it has a radio in it.

02-13-2014, 12:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have not used so can't comment accurately but much as I like and doubt if I will change from Pentax it seems to me that canon/Nikon are miles ahead with their flash units in terms of settings and features and accuracy.
Till that is fixed and if the market share increased dramatically then maybe the third party mfgs might produce their kit to work on Pentax
02-14-2014, 06:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I have not used so can't comment accurately but much as I like and doubt if I will change from Pentax it seems to me that canon/Nikon are miles ahead with their flash units in terms of settings and features and accuracy.
Nikon, for one, is both better and worse. They're better for sync speed and the existence of zones, but worse for wireless TTL, they use line of sight and according to a colleague it's really useless.
02-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Pentax's wireless P-TTL is also optical, so I don't see how that would make Nikon any worse than Pentax.
02-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Pentax's wireless P-TTL is also optical, so I don't see how that would make Nikon any worse than Pentax.
It's optical but doesn't require line-of-sight. You do need some surface to reflect on but apparently it's different.
02-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #12

Original Poster
Any one use YN 622 TX ?
02-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phansu Quote
Cactus are about to release the RF60 flash.

It will support semi-automatic HSS and second-curtain sync. It will also support remote power control (with an RF60 master and/or the upcoming Cactus V6 RF trigger).
02-27-2014, 11:14 AM   #14

Original Poster
The wireless power control does that work with the YN flashes ? Whats is semi Automatic HSS ?
02-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It's optical but doesn't require line-of-sight. You do need some surface to reflect on but apparently it's different.
As far as I can tell Pentax uses a much simpler protocol (I have managed to reverse engineer it quite easily) requiring very few pulses and allowing them to make those pulses very powerful. This allows even weakly reflecting surfaces to bounce back enough light towards the sensor on the flash to communicate with it reliably.