Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #1

K100D and AF360fgz problem

Well, I never used an external flash on my K100D. And now that I've got the AF360, I can't get it to work ... at all. I tried google-ing, but no luck on the first pages, I'll continue with it.
I'm doing something stupid most likely. The flash fires, but aparently not in sync with the camera. And all I get is dark images. The only way I got it to work was in high speed sync (rightmost position on the selector).
Please help me sort this out. I'm going to start with a setting, and see how I can make it work (with your help )

K100D
Shutter priority - 1/180
camera wanting more speed that the f 4.5 of the kit lens at 35 mm
AF point - center
metering - center weighted

AF360
PTTL mode
Leading shutter-curtain sync (leftmost position on the selector)
exp comp 0.0
A zoom
wireless master (oh, and the 360 is on the camera hotshoe)

.. and that's about it. All I get is dark images. Like the flash would trigger at a totally diferent time that the camera shutter...
HELP !

Last edited by zorobabel; 04-15-2008 at 05:12 PM.
04-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I think what's happening here is that the "pre-flash", is triggering the slave flash...

When you're using the on-board flash, you're using "P-TTL" flash by default. This causes the camera to fire a "pre-flash" before the exposure, allowing the camera to meter the scene, then, after adjusting the flash output based on the metering, fire a second flash during the exposure.

If you've successfully set the off-camera AF360FGZ to (simple) optical slave, it sees the pre-flash and fires.

I think your cheapest choice with a K100D is to cable the AF360FGZ to your camera via the hotshoe.

The solution I used was to purchase an AF540FGZ. If you use the AF360 on-camera, and either an AF540, or AF360 off-camera, the on-camera flash can trigger the off-camera flash.

Now that I have a K10D, I use both the AF540 and AF360 off-camera, as the K10D's built-in can be used as a trigger for both off-camera stobes. But the effective distance is limited, and I've slowly been tempted to get an RF (radio frequency) trigger, rather than relying on the optical trigger...

If that didn't make sense, reply and I'll try to clarify...

-Chris
04-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #3

whoops..

I just re-read your post and think I mis-intrepreted...

Are you trying to trigger a second, off-camera flash with your mounted AF360FGZ?

If so, just set the AF360 to A or M and it should trigger your optical slave at the right time.

I've only been using P-TTL so far, so I don't know much about manual flash yet.

-Chris
04-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for trying to help hinckc, but I don't know how you came up with onboard flash and slave advice...
I'm just trying to get the K100D to work with the AF360 mounted on the hotshoe; onboard flash not used.
I'll try to remember your tips for when my second AF360 arrives...

04-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #5

D'oh! I think that the line:
QuoteQuote:
Well, I never used an external flash on my K100D.
lead me to believe you had an "off-camera" flash involved, rather than an external hotshoe mounted flash.

I've definately hotshoe mounted my AF360 on my K100D, and didn't experience anything unexpected.

Good luck, maybe someone else has suggestions...

-Chris
04-15-2008, 10:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
Another strange thing...
In Av, or P or Auto (I never used the last two until now) I seem to have the shutter speed stuck to 1/50. Even in Av. It's like the camera stops metering because of the flash. When I turn off the flash (even if it's still mounted) Av and the other two modes seem to work ok.
The only thing I did was to upgrade the K100D firmware to v. 1.02 a while back so that it could read SDHC. Maybe it's a firmware bug.
Oh, and I've tried cleaning the pins and hotshoe contacts.

edit:
Auto mode and manual mode on the flash don't seem to work with my k100D. At least not with leading shutter-curtain sync - the flash doesn't trigger.
What have I got myself into ...

Last edited by zorobabel; 04-16-2008 at 12:03 AM.
04-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
Last night I tried shooting using the 2 sec. delay, so that I could separate pre-flash from flash.
This way, I found out that the flash only fires in high-speed sync. In the other 3 sync modes I only get pre-flash. This would also explain why the flash doesn't trigger in auto and manual flash modes. Ideas anyone?

04-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
Ok, I've done a bit more testing and the flash does trigger off-camera as a manual slave. I've used the onboard flash to trigger it.
I've also mounted the flash on an old film body (Pentax MV1) and it triggers in both manual flash and autoflash (and in TTL too, but I suspect it's really auto).
Anyone had problems with flash with the K100D after upgrading to firmware v.1.02?

Last edited by zorobabel; 04-18-2008 at 03:50 PM.
04-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
The previous days I noticed another thing about it.

When trying to shoot with the flash in auto or manual mode, not only that the flash doesn't trigger, but after a few tries and switching between modes, the flash freezes. When it freezes, it doesn't respond to any commands, including the on/off switch. I have to open the battery compartment to reset it.
I hope this is a clue for someone

And today I got my second flash (ran to the post office during lunch time), and this one doesn't work either. It must be the camera (or me).

I'd like to kindly ask a fellow pentaxian from my area (Anaheim, CA 92804) to help me try the flashes and the camera with his/her gear, so I can be sure to where the problem is.

Thanks!
04-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #10

Original Poster
Anyone?
Please
04-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #11

Original Poster
Ok, I tried the flashes on a K10D and they work. I have also tried my camera and another K100D with some other AF360FGZ, and it seems like my camera has a problem (all testing possible because of Ritz Camera, thanks Ritz!)... The only difference between my K100D and Ritz's K100D was the firmware version - mine has the 1.02, while theirs has the 1.00. Now, if I could just find those firmware versions (1.00 or 1.01) ... Please help me if you have any of those versions...
Thanks!
04-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #12

It doesn't sound like a firmware issue to me. I had a K100D with the latest firmware and never had a problem. There is probably a hardware problem. Might be best to send your camera in if it's still under warranty.
04-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I had a K100D with the latest firmware and never had a problem.
Thanks for the clarification proudtoshootpentax, and for the suggestions.
Unfortunately, it's 1 year birthday was in early March ... no luck there. I'm hoping it's a firmware issue, because the flash/camera work as they should when in high speed sync mode. And I should call Pentax; after all, it's been more than 10 days since I've emailed them and no response.
05-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zorobabel Quote
Thanks for the clarification proudtoshootpentax, and for the suggestions.
Unfortunately, it's 1 year birthday was in early March ... no luck there. I'm hoping it's a firmware issue, because the flash/camera work as they should when in high speed sync mode. And I should call Pentax; after all, it's been more than 10 days since I've emailed them and no response.
the flash is in wireless master mode..? how about taking it off of wireless..?