Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Busted Sigma

After a couple of good years of service I broke my EF-530 Super today. I was xc skiing to shoot a fat (snow) bike race and had a very minor fall from a standstill that just popped the base off the flash. I've contacted Sigma to see if I can get it fixed but in the mean time decided to order a nicer Metz with a metal foot. Hopefully that wouldn't just break the camera when it gets hit instead. I considered the new WR flashes but they are so expensive and I have not had problems with not having WR flashes.

Last edited by mattb123; 02-24-2014 at 09:07 AM.
02-23-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I would be happy with a plastic foot, Id rather have my flash break than my camera
02-23-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
I think I would be happy with a plastic foot, Id rather have my flash break than my camera
+1 glad the cam is ok.

BTW that whole sentence coming from me would be more like 'I was watching XC skiing from my couch and reached to get a fat doughnut from the coffee table and accidentally bumped my camera with flash and it fell off the table and the flash broke
02-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
in the mean time decided to order a nicer Metz with a metal foot. Hopefully that wouldn't just break the camera when it gets hit instead.
I thought the reason they made flashes with plastic foots was so that the foot would break instead of the hotshoe.

02-24-2014, 12:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I did the same the part is easy to replace, I purchased from local Sigma agents.

Thought they were safe on the passenger seat - amazing how quick they travel through the air.

I'd rather break the foot of the flash than the camera.

Kevin
02-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, I considered that too. I'm thinking/hoping with this fall it would have held and not broken the camera if it was metal because it was really a very light bump. The cold may have played a part as well, although it wasn't that cold.
There are other reasons I've lusted after that Metz and the trigger is now pulled (power, A mode, additional front facing flash to use when bouncing main). The Sigma will hopefully live again once I can get it fixed.