Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using a softbox - help

So I picked up one of these fabric, spring loaded softboxes. Used it by the window to take some pics of lenses for sale - seemed to work OK. But I would be grateful for pointers/links on using this properly.

And for bonus points: how to twist/fold it up again to 1/4 size so it fits in its wee black wallet!

Attached Images

02-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you have something else that is round, twists and folds? I find by practicing packing my round reflector a few times helps me to twist my large softbox. I purchased mine via mail order and didn't realize just how big and difficult is was. I would have been better buying a much smaller one. I am reluctant to use mine in case I can't get it back together in its bag. So the problem isn't you.

I think the idea is to have some strong lighting source on the outside be it lights or a couple of flash guns being wirelessly triggered. I suspect it works equally well if you have the camera on a tripod.

Best of luck getting back in its bag other wise behind a couch or under a bed might have to do.
02-25-2014, 01:18 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

That's more of a portable lightbox instead of softbox.

A lightbox is ... well ... a box where you put your product in and take pictures of it - that specific one you have helps eliminating the sharp corners and gives nice continuous shadows.
These type of boxes are meant to be used with studio lights or speedlights. Won't give good results if just used outside in the sun.

How to use it... here are some videos on how others are using it.
Even though the boxes do not look the same, they can be used in similar ways without any issues.

How to bend it... well, usually you colapse the thing and then grab from two ends and just twist it in different directions.
It will start to twist into itself... needs some practice with that. Something like this:

Last edited by mrNewt; 02-25-2014 at 01:24 PM.